Great Wall Forum  

Go Back   Great Wall Forum > Other topics > Other Great Wall topics

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 AM

Default PRCís Laws Regarding "Amateur" Archaeologists

Letís just say that a person from America is very interested in Chinese history.

That person is not a real archaeologist. However, he is very familiar with the methodology of archaeology since archaeology is his favorite hobby. In other words, he is an amateur archaeologist.

Say that the person decides to take a trip to China. He was hiking along the Qin Great Wall, when he found a hoard of coins from Qin Dynasty.

According to the laws of PRC, can he even pick up the coins?

If he can pick them up, can he take them with him (to preserve them)?

What authority does he report to?

Will he get credit for his discovery?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 AM

Default Re: PRCís Laws Regarding "Amateur" Archaeologists

frankly, if i found a hoard of qin money, i'd stuff em in my pockets and tell the customs guys at the airport i bought em from a farmer. not very likely for that to happen though...
i imagine if they caught you out by the wall with a shovel, you'd either get arrested and deported, or have to pay a nice fat bribe.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 AM

The law of China make clear that artifacts found at a any dig site are property of the state, regardless of whether they were found on private property.

Until a few years ago China had death penalty for several non-violent crimes including smuggling historic relics. You can no longer get the death penalty but that just show that this is taken very serious in China.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 AM

Unless you're some latter-day Hiram Bingham, you'd surely agree that historical artefacts found on the Great Wall belong in a Chinese Museum.

You would share that view with the Chinese authorities as well as a growing group of exceptionally wealthy Chinese who are buying up Chinese artefacts all over the world to repatriate them. They do this with nationalistic zeal.

If the question is a serious one, perhaps contacting the archeology department at Peking University would be the first step, or seek legal advice from a decent Chinese law firm like King & Wood or Junhe.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianfuxia View Post
Unless you're some latter-day Hiram Bingham, you'd surely agree that historical artefacts found on the Great Wall belong in a Chinese Museum.
Surely that must depend on things like age, quality and rarity. China would be able to fill big warehouses with pottery, arrowheads, coins, small iron cannon balls, stone mines, and stone canons found along the Great Wall if everything had to be delivered to museums.

Last edited by Kim; 03-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Maybe, but I imagine it's the museums which should be making that assessment.

Last edited by bianfuxia; 03-20-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: remove duplicate post
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 PM

I am actually very curious about this also. If I went to a location along the wall and paid a farmer money to allow me to excavate the land he farms, would that be allowed? Anything I find would be given to the authorities or a museum. I'm just curious whether they allow digging in general as long as the artifacts are given to the appropriate people.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Why are you insinuating that I will steal things? I have never disagreed with the ethics of not stealing artefacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBW View Post
I am actually very curious about this also. If I went to a location along the wall and paid a farmer money to allow me to excavate the land he farms, would that be allowed? Anything I find would be given to the authorities or a museum. I'm just curious whether they allow digging in general as long as the artifacts are given to the appropriate people.
Like TheBW I too will also give my finds to the authorities or a museum.

Last edited by TheAzn; 03-21-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 AM

I'm not insinuating anything.

Actually I answered the question - here's my answer again: seek advice from a university archeology department or a law firm.

What's with the sudden influx of amateur diggers who "will" give their finds to a museum? The way you phrase it, it sounds like you have already done this.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not insinuating anything.

Actually I answered the question - here's my answer again: seek advice from a university archeology department or a law firm.

What's with the sudden influx of amateur diggers who "will" give their finds to a museum? The way you phrase it, it sounds like you have already done this.
Ah, I see I see.

No, I have not removed any artifacts from China yet.

Last edited by TheAzn; 03-22-2012 at 01:52 AM.