Great Wall Forum  

Go Back   Great Wall Forum > Great Wall Locations > Beijing Municipality > Huairou District > Mutianyu

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 01:02 AM

Default Recomendation for a "light" day hike and question about heading east.

I finally made it too the great wall last saturday, after living in Beijing for a few years (shame on me). I opted to go to the Mutinayu section as I expected to have my six year old with me, however this changed at the last minute, and I went alone.
I walked up to the wall instead if taking the cable car. Once on the wall I headed to tower one and then walked the length un-restored spur wall and returned via hike 7 on the school house map (available from the map thread of this forum) Looking back it would of been better to start from hike 7 and walk up to the "wild wall" and then enter the restored bit.
If anyone only has a day to see the wall and is interested in seeing an un-restored and restored bit and doesn't want a big hike this could be a good option. The start position of hike 7 on the schoolhouse map is accurate, and using it also avoids buying a ticket.

If think my next trip to the wall will be a hike from Zhengbeilou to Mutianyu, but I was wondering if you head east along the un-restored section from tower one where you would end up is it possible to do and A-B day hike starting from tower one and heading east?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Recomendation for a "light" day hike and question about heading east.

East of Mutianyu is Lianhuachi. It's an easy and short walk in either direction.

Continuing east from Lianhuachi to Shentangyu is much more challenging.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Recomendation for a "light" day hike and question about heading east.

Hi Bryan thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know how many km or miles is it from Lianhuachi to the start of Mutianyu. I was thinking of doing a Zhengbeilou to Mutianyu hike, but I'm not in the best of shape so maybe Lianhuach to Mutianyu is a better option to start with, on the other hand I don't want a walk in the park ......
Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 AM

You should use Google Earth to visualize these places, it's so helpful.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
You should use Google Earth to visualize these places, it's so helpful.
Joe - Your right it is, thanks for the idea. Using google earth I was able to get a good idea of the distance between Mutianyu and Lianhuachi by comparing it with the Mutianyu spur wall, that I am already familiar with.