Great Wall Forum  

Go Back   Great Wall Forum > Great Wall Locations > Beijing Municipality > Miyun County > Jinshanling

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 PM

Default Hiking Poles on the Great Wall?

I'll be hiking on the Wall in the Jinshanling/Simitai area soon. Would hiking poles be an advantage or would they be unnecessary or a hindrance? Also are there walking sticks available locally in Jinshanling to buy as I don't really want to lug my own to China as I'm travelling elsewhere after the Great Wall.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Hiking Poles on the Great Wall?

Trekking poles are a very personal preference. Some like them and some don't. Some like one and some prefer two. They do transfer some load from your legs to your arms, but at a price of convenience. They can both improve and reduce safety depending on the circumstance. If you have never used them before and you don't have any knee problems, I would recommend you forego them for this hike.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicklore View Post
I'll be hiking on the Wall in the Jinshanling/Simitai area soon. Would hiking poles be an advantage or would they be unnecessary or a hindrance? Also are there walking sticks available locally in Jinshanling to buy as I don't really want to lug my own to China as I'm travelling elsewhere after the Great Wall.
Jinshanling to Simatai is not very difficult compared to many other sections so it should not be necessary to bring hiking poles.

Otherwise they will most likely be available at a Jinshanling shop, or you can buy some in Beijing (Sanfo is a very good store).
Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 PM

Thanks Bryan and Kim. Yes I do a lot of hiking in Ireland and use walking poles so I'm comfortable using them. I know they can be a hindrance at times, but can be a blessing on steep ascents and descents! (adjusting the pole height accordingly can be a pain). I was particularly wondering if they are frowned upon on the Wall or if it doesn't matter. It sounds like it doesn't matter so I'll see how small they can be packed into my travel bag. I'm travelling in a few weeks and getting quite excited!