Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Invitation letter needed

Dear All,

I am Bernard from France preparing a Great Wall hike from East to West during 6 months and almost ready thanks to this highly valuable forum and special advices given by Chinoook

As I made a demand for a 6 months tourism visa, the visa center said it is not impossible to get one but among all papers requested and as the stay is 6 months in total, they want an invitation letter from a Chinese organisation or company with my dates of stay in China and a stamp.

I write this message like throwing a bottle in the sea to ask if any of you could help to find a contact to get such invitation letter

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Bernard
    http://bernard.aallard.net

Re: Help - Invitation letter needed

Hi Bernard,

sorry for beeing silent for such a long time, I was too busy personally. The lacking map will be with you in time.

Visa - In my opinion it is sufficient to go for the 3 months visa. You are close to border cities, where you can leave and re-enter the country, always with a decent prolongation of your stay. Please ask, I can give advice.

The persons I know who stayed up to 1,5 years on the Great Wall did it exactly this way (well, one of them always went to Hongkong, maybe a bit far, troublesome and expensive), but there are better possibilities.

-chinoook
    chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
    chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
    chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

A lot of people do their visa runs to Seoul, it's only a short flight from Beijing. Others visit Ulan Bator, also a short flight, though you need a visa to get into Mongolia depending on your country.
      If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
      Journeys, &c

Comment

Bonjour all,

90 days or even 30 is not possible in France except if you have booked all the hotels during your stay and be able to provide an invitation letter from an official travel agency like the Chinese International Travel Services (CITS).
        As it is not in line with my project, I gave up and activate in a hurry the B plan.
        I got a 10 years visa from the US ambassy in Paris with a maximum stay of 6 months. The biggest difficulty was to get a photo compatible with their website rules...
        And this Tuesday, I will start walking the Pacific Crest Trail, heading North from the Mexican border.
        To Chinook, you will read about me
        Thanks to all of you for your support and the quality of the forum !
        Bernard 😎
        http://bernard.aallard.net

Comment

Pacific Crest Trail is not bad! (I was born in the beautiful state of Oregon ...).

In my opinion you gave up to early. The booked hotel thing is not an issue at all. I always register for hotel stays, get the visa and cancel the hotels immediately afterwards. Was never a problem. And I easily got visas for 40 days (and probably even more). And we already explained that a visa prolongation is not a big deal (just apply for that in the closest provincial capital), this is usually granted. And then, probably in the middle of your trip, leave the country (most easy and cheapest) to Mongolia, get a new visa and that's it.

-chinoook

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

It's usually best, also, to just have a hotel booking in Beijing. Once you are there, you can hop a domestic flight to wherever you want.
            Journeys, &c

Comment

Just another occasion of a pure "through-hiker" of everything. In the future I will refuse to assist them (e.g. in providing map information, but usually much more) on their preparation as long as they don't show especial interest in the Great Wall (and history and all that).

-chinoook

Comment

Maybe we should make this a sticky not just on the thru-hiking page but also on the main page.

Great Wall Forum Thru-hiking Policy
                Journeys, &c

Comment

Working...
                X