Riding a motorcycle in China as a foreigner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding a motorcycle in China as a foreigner

Maybe anyone here can tell me wether it is possible to buy, rent or even ride a motorcycle in China.
    For reaching the far off Great Wall sites in Inner Mongolia (and Gansu and Xinjiang public transport is unsufficient (too remote, too long distances in sparely inhabitated regions, too dependent)). Renting taxies would be much more expensive and there are many roads wich probably are not good enough for simple cars.
    A (even a very small one, as long as it can go on sandy roads) motorcycle would do the job and does for most of the peasants living in these areas.
    I would not need a very fast one (about 50km/h maximum speed would do the job). I would go for buying one (should be in the price range of 4000 Yuan), if this is not possible even to rent one would be an option. Do I need a drivers license for this? Is a normal car drivers license sufficient? Can a foreigner get a motorcycle registered in China and get a license tag? Did anyone of you go through such a procedure?

-chinoook
    Last edited by chinoook; 06-25-2009, 09:46 AM.
    chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
    chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
    chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Re: Riding a motorcycle in China as a foreigner

I don't know about motorcycles, but it is possible to get a temporary drivers license to drive a car for 30 days.

If you know anyone locally you could probably avoid a lot difficulties by getting a Chinese person to buy it.

I suggest you contact the German Embassy in Beijing, maybe they know something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
      I don't know about motorcycles, but it is possible to get a temporary drivers license to drive a car for 30 days.

If you know anyone locally you could probably avoid a lot difficulties by getting a Chinese person to buy it.

I suggest you contact the German Embassy in Beijing, maybe they know something.
      Thanks, this information helps a lot.

-chinoook

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

According to my wife it is not allowed to ride a motorcycle without a special motorcycle license - you can not use a normal drives license.

Comment

I am sure it is possible but not recommended, the roads here are pure chaos... and most of that is caused by the bicycles (both manual and motorised). I remember during my induction into the Uni here in Beijing Police representatives came to the uni and they advised all foreign students not to purchase or rent mortorised bycicles or motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by PWCCA View Post
            I am sure it is possible but not recommended, the roads here are pure chaos... and most of that is caused by the bicycles (both manual and motorised). I remember during my induction into the Uni here in Beijing Police representatives came to the uni and they advised all foreign students not to purchase or rent mortorised bycicles or motorcycles.
            I do _not_ intend to ride a motorcycle in Beijing or other big cities. But I don't fear to buy one in Baotou and go riding in the countryside.

If you talk to Chinese and tell them, that you walk along the Great Wall and sleep outside, they very proably will tell you how dangerous it is (wolves, bears, dangerous people). I however consider it completely safe, if you take care you bring enough water with you and don't climb steep cliffs and don't pick up poisionous animals ...

-chinoook

Comment

Originally posted by PWCCA View Post
              Compared to Beijing the roads in Gansu and other nearby provinces are almost empty, so it's probably more dangerous for chinoook drive in Germany than Gansu.

I've been driving a car in China for more than two years without problem, and Tangshan is much worse than Beijing - less cars but much more chaos.

Comment

Compared to Beijing the roads in Gansu and other nearby provinces are almost empty, so it's probably more dangerous for chinoook drive in Germany than Gansu.
                Statistically, this may be true, but I found German drivers to be some of the best anywhere. Now, if he were living in the USA....
                Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                  Statistically, this may be true, but I found German drivers to be some of the best anywhere.
                  Because they always go to the beach in Denmark during the summer and learn from the best!

Comment

Hi , Chinoook
                    Here is google map link on motocycle service/seller name&address information at Baotou , attached picture is its web page .
                    http://maps.google.com.tw/maps?hl=zh...AXX8MmsDw&cd=1

Riding a motorcycle to visit Great Wall sites in Inner Mongolia is good idea , three things below need to be noticed .
                    1. make sure motorcycle in good condition
                    2. keep motorcycle from being stolen when you are walking on Great Wall
                    3. alway know where is next petrol station

Motorcycle license only needed when you hit someone , license no need at all if you always keep motorcycle on low speed.

Comment

I've been driving a car in China for more than two years without problem, and Tangshan is much worse than Beijing - less cars but much more chaos.
                      More chaos than Beijing?! So drivers from Denmark must be very highly skilled too.

Because they always go to the beach in Denmark during the summer and learn from the best!
                      Jan Magnussen I guess...
                      Bryan

Comment

More chaos than Beijing?!
                        I know it sounds hard to believe

Jan Magnussen I guess...
                        And Tom Kristensen - 8 times Le Mans winner

Comment

Hi 老成,

thx for your information, it is very helpful. I will take a look at the shop in Baotou next week and ask which solution they can offer.

Originally posted by andarchen View Post
                          Here is google map link on motocycle service/seller name&address information at Baotou , attached picture is its web page .

Riding a motorcycle to visit GW sites in Inner Mongolia is good idea , three things below need to be noticed .
                          2. keep motorcycle from being stolen when you are walking on GW
                          This should be no problem at all. I would ask local farmers to put the motorcycle on their ground and I am pretty shure they will help. All Chinese people I have met so far in rural areas had ben very very helpful and friendly.
                          Of course this is important but I will ask local people who share the same problems. I don't expect a problem here.
                          Motorcycle license only needed when you hit someone , license no need at all if you always keep motorcycle on low speed.
                          Here I am not sure. Police could stop me (though I would cover my face with a scarf as many local people do) and I am not interested in severe legal problems in China since I would like to return. Of course I could youse my second passport for a return but it might be more complicated and even expensive to get a visa as an American citizan here in Germany. And even more important I expect legal problems in the future because of entering off-limit regions along the wall and don't want to elongate my criminal career in China ...

-chinoook

Comment

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
                            Hi 老成,-chinoook
                            Nice to see you can use chinese keyboard entry

What i said about motorcycle license was joke , behave in legal is necessary for all countries . I am looking forward to see the picture you ride on the motorcycle at bautou .

Comment

Originally posted by andarchen View Post
                              Hi , Chinoook
                              http://maps.google.com.tw/maps?hl=zh...AXX8MmsDw&cd=1

Riding a motorcycle to visit GW sites in Inner Mongolia is good idea , three things below need to be noticed .
                              2. keep motorcycle from being stolen when you are walking on GW

Agreed. And add this : Do not ride alone in remote path for there may be robbers. I get this rule from some motorbike travel fans.
                              Or maybe you can buy a fake licence. It only take you hundreds of yuan. For your status of a foreigner, the policemen won't check it clearly and embarrass you even find it is fake. I dare to say this.

Comment

Working...
                              X