This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts about the Great Wall of China

This thread will provide some basic information and also dispel some common myths about the Great Wall of China.
    Bryan

What is The Great Wall of China?

The Great Wall of China is a military defense barrier along the previous northern border of China. The Great Wall consists of many different walls which were built, rebuilt, connected, and extended at different times and using different construction techniques.

Bryan

Comment

What makes The Great Wall of China so Great?

It is mankind's most extensive construction endeavor ever. The Ming dynasty Great Wall alone reached 6400 kilometers (4000 miles) across China.

The other dimensions of the Wall are also impressive. The average width is about 6 meters (18 feet), and the average height is about 8 meters (25 feet). The watchtowers average about 10 meters (33 feet) high. In many places, the Wall is built with stone blocks so huge that it defies the imagination as to how they were put in place on high mountain ridges.

The Great Wall winds up and down steep mountain ridges in remote locations and is fortified with thousands of watchtowers, making it one of the most photogenic structures on earth.

In addition to its physical attributes, it has great historical and cultural importance.
      Bryan

Comment

Why was the Great Wall of China built?

The Great Wall served many purposes.
        • To keep invaders out – The Great Wall was a psychological as well as physical barrier against invading military forces.
        • To serve as lookout posts – The elevated locations of the Great Wall and its towers enabled distant observation for invaders to provide the earliest possible warning.
        • To provide a communication and early warning system – Relaying from one watchtower to another using fire signals at night and smoke signals during the day, messages could be sent over long distances in a short time.
        • As an elevated roadway along the border – This enabled rapid deployment of personnel from one place to another.
        Bryan

Comment

How was the Great Wall of China built?

The earliest Great Walls were built using layers of rammed (compacted) earth, sometimes strengthened with reeds. Later walls were built – sometimes using the earlier walls as a base – using adobe or with combinations of stones and very durable bricks with mortar. Millions of workers contributed to the highly complex and labor-intensive creation of the Great Wall.
          Bryan

Comment

What is the Great Wall like today?

Today, The Great Wall is the icon of China, and one of the leading vacation travel destinations in the world. The most popular site, Badaling, receives over one million visitors every month. Some sections have been restored recently and others are in their authentic aged and weathered state with conditions varying from nearly intact to totally gone. These sections pass through areas ranging from lush mountains to dry deserts.

Comment

Is the Great Wall visible from space or from the moon?

It has often been claimed that the Great Wall is visible from space. As a result, many astronauts and even Chinese taikonauts have looked for it, and all have confirmed that it is invisible even in a low altitude orbit. The Great Wall may be extremely long, but it’s no wider than a narrow street and it’s well camouflaged by its surroundings.
              Bryan

Comment

Are people really buried in the Great Wall?

This is another popular claim that has never been substantiated. Neither physical evidence nor documentation to confirm this claim has ever been found.
                Bryan

Comment

What are the most popular Great Wall of China sites?

These are the most frequently visited sites on the Great Wall.
                  1. Badaling
                  2. Mutianyu
                  3. Juyongguan
                  4. Simatai
                  Bryan

Comment

What are the best Great Wall of China sites?

Defining the best Great Wall locations depends upon your definition of “best”. Most tourists go to Badaling or Mutianyu. For visitors who are more interested in the Great Wall than in a crowded tourist destination, I usually recommend Jinshanling, and if they want to do some hiking, the Jinshanling to Simatai hike. This is about a 3-hour drive northeast of downtown Beijing.

There are several threads of discussion of this topic on the Great Wall Forum, such as http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/...locations.html, plus this one and this one.
                    Bryan

Comment

More information on the Great Wall of China

This thread just skims the surface of a very complex and interesting subject.

For more details, try some Great Wall history books, some Great Wall informational books, or maybe a Great Wall video.
                      Bryan

Comment

Hello,

I have been fascinated by the wall for a while reading about its history and such. I made a youtube video stating some interesting facts I gathered about the wall. Here is the link if you are interested,
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIfUS38h6zc

Thanks

Comment

Hi Adam,

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                          Hello,

I have been fascinated by the wall for a while reading about its history and such. I made a youtube video stating some interesting facts I gathered about the wall. Here is the link if you are interested,
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIfUS38h6zc

Thanks

The video is nice made. Which software did you use?

It is not critics but ince this is a (the!) Great Wall forum I want to state:
                          • the Great Wall is not only a "northern border". Depending on where you look it was a border with many purposes, at some places even to defend to the south
                          • wich wall is 6.400km long? The Ming Great Wall?
                          • the number of 2-3 mio. dead labourers is a random number. Regarding all dynasties that built Great Wall the number is probably _much_ higher
                          • the number of 1 mio. labourers built the Great Wall (again: which Great Wall?) is by far to low
                          • as far as I know there is no evidence that there are any dead bodies burried in the Great Wall. I cannot accept the people who built the Great Wall would have weakened the structure by doing so
                          • it is absoulte unknown how much defense the Great Wall actually made. There are even authors who doubt the defense success but I have never seen any estimates or any research result

-chinoook
                          chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
                          chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
                          chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Great Wall introductory video

Hi Adam, I enjoyed your video! Thanks for joining the forum and telling us about it. The Great Wall is one of the most interesting things to see in the world. Unfortunately, photos and videos just can't do it justice since one of the most amazing aspects of the Great Wall it its gigantic scale. You just have to see it for yourself and then it takes on a whole new meaning. When are you going to go to China and experience it for yourself?
                            Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
                              Hi Adam,

The video is nice made. Which software did you use?

It is not critics but ince this is a (the!) Great Wall forum I want to state:
                              • the Great Wall is not only a "northern border". Depending on where you look it was a border with many purposes, at some places even to defend to the south
                              • wich wall is 6.400km long? The Ming Great Wall?
                              • the number of 2-3 mio. dead labourers is a random number. Regarding all dynasties that built Great Wall the number is probably _much_ higher
                              • the number of 1 mio. labourers built the Great Wall (again: which Great Wall?) is by far to low
                              • as far as I know there is no evidence that there are any dead bodies burried in the Great Wall. I cannot accept the people who built the Great Wall would have weakened the structure by doing so
                              • it is absoulte unknown how much defense the Great Wall actually made. There are even authors who doubt the defense success but I have never seen any estimates or any research result

-chinoook
                              Hi Chinoook

I used movie maker to make this video. I know there may be a lack of evidence for some the info that I placed in the video, I actually did place the video under entertainment only and not education. Regarding the how long it is, I was referring to the unified wall and not any one wall. I actually came across many numerical figures but choose this one, it’s the wall from Shanhaiguan in the east to Lop Nur in the west. The dead labourers is a very rough estimate I admit, no one knows for sure, you'll find different numbers from different sources. I only placed it there as a generalized piece of information, nothing to get worked up about. The dead bodies added to rubble could be a myth, but still an interesting myth nonetheless. Also, the wall was not really that significant at defending against the enemy. The Ming dynasty were the best builders of the wall and they were defeated by the Qin dynasty (I know the wall was not the only factor in the matter but it is still a valid point). The Mongols managed to penetrate the wall as well and enter China.
                              Anyways, I appreciate your input. I should also add that I had no intentions by any means to offend anyone by making this video.

Comment

Working...
                              X