Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 km hike along the great wall - advice/assistance much appreciated

Hi everyone

I am working on a project to hike 500km of the great wall for charity and would really appreciate some expert advice.

The provisional plan was to divide the hike up into - say 5 sections - of approximately 100km each, to include a varied selection of the most interesting parts. The total distance doesn't need to be set in stone, and given the amount of days I have available (probably around 20 to 25 days in total) I am trying to gauge whether that what would indeed be a realistic target.

Does anyone have any advice on what would be a realistic target in terms of total distance in that time frame (including land transfers between each section), what would be the most interesting way to break down the hike into say 4 or 5 different sections of approximately 5 days walking each, what would be the best time of year to embark on such a venture, and who would be best placed to either act as a guide for the entire project and/or help with the planning and logistics?

Thanks and regards

Adrian

Have a look here first:
    http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/...-hiking-policy
    If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
    Journeys, &c

Comment

Thanks for the link.

To give you some brief background - I run an adventure trekking company (www.whistlingarrow.com) and have been trekking in China for over 20 years now. During that time I have lead over 50 remote expeditions and pioneered several new routes, particularly in western China. I am also a member of the Explorers Club (https://explorers.org/) and am both interested and committed to scientific research in the field - and once again have lead several related expeditions predominantly in the ecological and botanical fields.

So, I am comfortable exploring remote areas and would be more than happy to try and contribute in some way to the existing knowledge and research of the wall - and am open to potential collaboration on that front. There is also the possibility of securing a grant from the Explorers Club to that end.

As I mentioned before, the plan is to break up the hike into four or five sections - so I suspect that only one or two of the sections would potentially be in the west.

I hope that goes some way to convincing you to help me with this - as the project is far from being just a whim.

Thanks.

Comment

PM me.
        If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
        Journeys, &c

Comment

What is the best way to do that?

Comment

Here
            Bryan

Comment

Working...
            X