Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Wall informational books

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
    I ordered them both and will be reading them soon.
    Where did you order the second book? Directly from the author?

-chinoook
    chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
    chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
    chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
      Where did you order the second book? Directly from the author?

-chinoook
      Got both from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YMU987A

Where did you hear about these books?
      Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by bianfuxia View Post
        I attended a talk by him not long after you left Beijing. It wasn't a book launch though that came up. My friend (B) and I asked a couple of fairly precisely composed questions and he said "I sense you spend quite a bit of time on the Wall"... hahah.

He seemed a nice guy though I did get the sense he does a lot of these things and was partly going through the motions. That said, there was some obvious passion in him which bubbled out when he departed a bit from his script.
        Just curious: what kind of questions did you ask and what kind of answers did you get?
        Bryan

Comment

PM'd you both.
          If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
          Journeys, &c

Comment

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
            And another one:

The Great Wall explained
            William Lindesay

"The Great Wall Explained" (China Intercontinental Press, Beijing, 2012) is a milestone explanation of the 'Great Wall' as it has been seen by William Lindesay. Also the first book to systematically illustrate the Great Wall's structure, features and designs. Currently only available from the author in Beijing."

... and no, I am not going to contact the author in order not to get a reply ...

-chinoook
            Old habits die hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
              Just curious: what kind of questions did you ask and what kind of answers did you get?
              I regularly check for new GW books. Amazon, everywhere.

-chinoook
              chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
              chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
              chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Thank you Bryan for these titles.
                Lately I have been searching for information on the Walls in Ningxia where I explore.
                I only found Mandarin written with some nice pictures though.
                And one general: The Great Wall in the Chinese REd series, you will know of, half English, half Mandarin;(ISBN 978-7-5461-2709-5.) And a small book with pictures and drawings on the (history of) Ningxia walls (Qin, Han, Sui and Ming) (10 rmb) has ISBN 978-7-227-05173-2/K-707

Comment

This beautiful book features some wonderful photography by Chen Huai who is known to a few of us on the GWF, and also has pictures by our very own Chinook and also one from me. It tells the tale of Chinook and OutOfNowhere's long walks along the GW over the years, ably supported by Chen Huai himself and joined on very short parts by me and a few others.

I got my signed copy in the mail from Chen Huai, who I am proud to call a friend, and I recommend it to everyone because it has some stunning images of the wall, and even more interestingly, of the families who live nearby it.

Chen Huai really is a talented photographer. I believe he is a talented story-teller too though I don't read Chinese well enough to have been able to actually read this book yet (I mean, I only got it today).

Not sure how to get it but if anyone is interested I can inquire with Chen Huai directly.
                  If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
                  Journeys, &c

Comment

• Publisher: 江苏凤凰科学技术出版社有限公司
                    • Initial Publicaton: August 1, 2016
                    • ISBN: 9789900002826
                    • ASIN: B0719J7MXZ

Comment

Working...
                    X