Imperial Tombs of Xi'an

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial Tombs of Xi'an

I was just looking around and again these took my attraction.
    I also took notice of Famen si, Qianling and Tiefo si.

Maybe you find this interesting.

-chinoook
    chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
    chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
    chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Re: Imperial Tombs of Xi'an

Crossbow Uncovered In Terracotta Warriors Pit
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_17310236.htm

Archaeologists in Shaanxi province found a complete crossbow recently during a third excavation of the No 1 pit of the Qin Terracotta warriors and horses, Xi'an Daily reported on Thursday.

The crossbow with complete bowstring was found in the No 11 hole, and archaeologists speculated the material used for the bowstring might be animal tendon.

According to Shen Maosheng, head of the pit's excavation team, it is the first time a complete crossbow has been found in the pit.

"The longest shooting range of this kind of large crossbow could be some 800 m, more than the longest shooting range of 400 m of AK47 rifles, which shows that such ancient weapons were very lethal," Shen said.

The funerary pit located in the Lintong district of Xi'an, the capital of Shaanxi province, near the mausoleum of Qin Shihuang, the first emperor of the Qin Dynasty (221 - 206 BC), was found in 1974 with a large number of full-size terracotta warriors and horses as well as other relics. The third excavation of the pit started on June 13, 2009
    If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
    Journeys, &c

Comment

amazing the technology which ancient china had. there are several cast bronze weapons on display which they claim were chrome-saline oxide plated 10-15 microns thick. not the same as the shiny chrome which we see on bama wheels so often here in the city, but impressive if true.

Comment

I just don't believe in the effective shooting range of 800m.
        It should be at most 300m.

-chinoook
        chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
        chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
        chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

I agree, 800 sounds a bit OTT.
          If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
          Journeys, &c

Comment

they've compared effective range of the AK to maximum range of the crossbow. 7.62x39mm will fly way over a mile, but most AK's aren't accurate at 300M anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 69SHOVLHED View Post

amazing the technology which ancient china had. there are several cast bronze weapons on display which they claim were chrome-saline oxide plated 10-15 microns thick. not the same as the shiny chrome which we see on bama wheels so often here in the city, but impressive it true.
              My thouthts exactly.

Comment

Working...
              X