This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 10

Very cool! After purchasing the map, can I get all future updates for the same price?
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
      Very cool! After purchasing the map, can I get all future updates for the same price?
      Thanks.
      Yes, you can. Thanks for your question.
      Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan,

I bought the version 7 or 8 of the map once. Do I understand correctly that i could upgrade to 10 for free. I will be in China this year again and plan for a hike, it would come in handy...

BR
        ElRey

Comment

ElRey: I sent you a private message.
          Bryan

Comment

I believe part of the description of a tower on the Jinshanling route is mistaken, and that a path that if often referred to on this forum (!) is not represented on the map.

Qilin Tower keeps popping up on maps but actually does not exist as such. The name of the tower it refers to is Xiaohuding (Small Fox Head-tower) and not Dahuding Tower (Big Fox Head-tower). The topocraphic point given on the GWF is not Jinshanling Dahuding Qilin Tower but Jinshanling Xiahuding (Qilin) Tower.

From (Dong)Wuyanlou Tower/(Eastern) Five Window Tower a pedestrian underpass (south side of the tower) leads to a stone stairway path going downhill to the East Gate parking lot in the north. It is called East Five-window Tower Trail.

Comment

I want to put to you a question that is been pressing on my mind for some time now.

The first tower on the route Jinshanling- Simatai reservoir is Zhuanduo Tower (Crenel Building) and the last (34th) is Zhuanjiaolou (Corner Building). On some maps and in lists of towers people refer to 35 towers instead. This one tower difference can be explained by a missing tower on the beginning of the route.

If Crenel Building (Zhuanduo Tower) is first and Storage Tower (Kufanglou) fourth (GWFmap starts counting at four), where are number two and three?
              Some say:

1st Zhuanduo/Crenel (the entrance to the Jinshanling Wall),
              2nd Qiangduolou,
              3rd Dongfangtai/East Terrace,
              4th Storage Tower/Kufanglou.

However of #2 and #3, only one exists on most maps, and Google Earth. Can someone enlighten me here? And is this the underlying reason the GWF map starts counting at four?

Comment

Here is how I count them:

1. Zhuanduokou 40.676742N 117.232145E
                2. Zhuanduolou 40.676653N 117.232807E
                3. Sifangtai 40.678477N 117.235077E
                4. Kufanglou 40.675600N 117.234547E

Based on http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/...nshanling-maps.
                But I would be interested to hear any other opinions.
                I should number these for the next release of the map.
                Bryan

Comment

Morning Bryan,
                  Zhuanduokou (lou) refers to the first tower en route (and is one and the same)
                  kou = pass and lou = building
                  your third name and its GPS notation is not a tower en route but on a turnoff (barrier wall) with two towers Open Tower (Changlouzi Tower) and Sifang Terrace (Sifangtai Tower)
                  So problem still unsolved

Comment

According to this map, Zhuanduokou and Zhuanduolou are two separate structures.
                    Bryan

Comment

I think those are just exit/entrance icons in between towers. It shows three of them on that map. Whilst for example the cable car entrance has immediate access to a tower (Little Jinshan Building (XiaoJinshan), no blue icon there.

Comment

... on the other (purple map) the blue icons are replaced by red dots, indicating three entrance passes: Zhuanduokou, Shalinkou and Houchouankou.

Comment

part of our posts on this topic suddenly seem to be missing #20 #21 #22
                          can they be restored? would be nice to attract other sticklers

Comment

Originally posted by margriet View Post
                            part of our posts on this topic suddenly seem to be missing #20 #21 #22
                            can they be restored? would be nice to attract other sticklers
                            Sorry about that! A lot of data was lost when upgrading our forum software due to encoding issues. I have tried my best to restore the posts you mentioned but if any information is still missing please feel free to post it again. Thanks.
                            Bryan

Comment

Thanks for quick response and remedy. Think its oke now.

Comment

Sunday, 7/17/16 at 3:41PM EST

Just wanted to express my sincere thank you for all the hard work Bryan and other have put into this website, and the GoogleEarth .kmz file I just purchased. I installed the file, rebooted my computer, opened GoogleEarth, went file ?> open and it loaded the file in no problem.

I'll be heading to the Great Wall of China, Mutianyu section only, on work related stuff, this October. I have been starting to study the maps, names, locations, sites, etc. I have never traveled this far away before, so this will be a lifetime memory.

Respectfully Submitted,
                                Mike from Massachusetts, USA

Comment

Working...
                                X