This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps: Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 10

The Great Wall Forum is pleased to announce the release of version 10 of our detailed map of the Great Wall of China in the Beijing area. This map is packaged as a kmz file for use with Google Earth.

You must comply with the license agreement to use the map. Basically, the agreement contains these rules:
    • The map is only for personal, non-commercial use.
    • You may not copy, redistribute, or modify the map.
    • You are strongly urged to help protect and preserve the Great Wall.
    The map is a community project. Users are encouraged to contribute additions, corrections, and suggestions.

The map contains the following features:
    • 296 Great Wall paths totaling 613 kilometers (381 miles)
    • 71 Great Wall location markers
    • 1522 tower location markers
    • 36 driving routes totaling 2992 kilometers (1859 miles)
    • 102 hiking trails totaling 89 kilometers (55 miles)
    • 10 cable cars, toboggans, slides
    • 48 fortress locations and 42 fortress outlines
    • Beijing city walls totaling 67 kilometers (41 miles)
    • District, county, and municipality borders
    • Other items of interest
    All items are carefully organized in a hierarchy of folders.

Please note that this map only covers the Beijing Municipality area. The map includes an installer that works only with Microsoft Windows. It is not available for other operating systems.

The Beijing Great Wall map is a work in progress. This release is dated 1 January 2013. Please check back regularly for updates as we continually improve the map.

We use PayPal for payment processing. You can pay securely and conveniently with PayPal using your credit card or bank account. The ten dollar fee helps to offset the costs of hosting and maintaining this forum.

After successfully completing the PayPal transaction, you will be able to download the map. Important: Be sure to return directly to Great Wall Forum from PayPal so you can download and begin using the map immediately. Look for this button after you complete your payment:

After you complete the download and run the setup program, you will find the Beijing Great Wall.kmz file in your documents folder.

For those interested in a preview of what this map looks like, here's a screen shot of the map in the Jiankou and Mutianyu area.

Red lines: Great Wall
    Blue lines: roads
    Yellow lines: trails
    Red pins: towers
    Yellow pins: locations
    Green lines: cable cars, toboggan
    Bryan

Re: Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 10

Hi, I'm running a Mac. Can you please clarify re: the Windows-only installer? Is the installer necessary to downloading/installing the GW map? Or is it just a convenience feature, and I can manually import the kmz (or whatever format) file into Google Earth?

Thanks!
    Jay

Comment

Thanks for this Bryan. It is very detailed. Any plans to expand the information beyond the Beijing area?

Comment

Originally posted by Kai-Star View Post
        Thanks for this Bryan. It is very detailed. Any plans to expand the information beyond the Beijing area?
        Thanks, glad you liked the map. We currently plan to continue limiting the map to the Beijing area.
        Bryan

Comment

Hello Bryan,

Just bought and downloaded map but can't open it. I have Windows as specified in purchase details.
          I click to open all that keeps coming up is a box asking me to buy 'Adobe Photoshop'

Planning to go to the Wall at Jiankou in 3 weeks so advice to access the map would be much appreciated.
          Cheers
          Danny

Comment

Danny:

I sent you a Private Message.
            Bryan

Comment

Thanks Bryan - all sorted now, the glitch was at my end. No problem at all with the mapping which I unreservedly recommend forum users to purchase if planning a trip to the Beijing Great Wall
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

I just bought the maps on paypal, but I didn't realize I would need a pc to gain access to the kmz file. All I have is my ipad right now, but when my wife is awake in the U.S. in a little bit, I will have her download and run it, and then email me the kmz file. That should work, shouldn't it?

Comment

yeah
                  If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
                  Journeys, &c

Comment

Cool

Comment

Originally posted by sisko View Post
                      I just bought the maps on paypal, but I didn't realize I would need a pc to gain access to the kmz file. All I have is my ipad right now, but when my wife is awake in the U.S. in a little bit, I will have her download and run it, and then email me the kmz file. That should work, shouldn't it?
                      Yes, but there are important stipulations in the setup program that you must accept before using the kmz. They are not typical legal jargon; they mainly have to do with Great Wall protection. They are in plain English and they are brief. Please ask your wife to read or email them to you. This is one reason why we package the kmz file in an installer. Thanks and good luck.
                      Bryan

Comment

Hello Bryan,

Just checked the map and it is really helpful. However, I would be so much better to import to a portable device.
                        I am using Garmin Edge and as far as I know .kmz format is supported. Unfortunately, for some reason this map does not want to work on my Garmin.
                        Is it possible to import it somehow? Just the Great wall coordinates and trails should be enough. Well, to be precise Jiankou coordinates will be fine, as I plan to visit it soon.

Best regards,
                        Kai

Comment

Hello Kai, I would use gpsbabel to convert the map to GPX which would then work on your Garmin.
                          Bryan

Comment

Thank you, Bryan. I will definitely try it.

Comment

I have just bought the map too, will look at it in detail later but on first look it seems very useful

Comment

Working...
                              X