Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps: Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 9

Important note: This thread has been replaced by Detailed map of the Beijing area Great Wall of China version 10.

The Great Wall Forum is pleased to announce the release of version 9 of our detailed map of the Great Wall of China in the Beijing area. This map is packaged as a kmz file for use with Google Earth.

You must comply with the license agreement to use the map. Basically, the agreement contains these rules:
    • The map is only for personal, non-commercial use.
    • You may not copy, redistribute, or modify the map.
    • You are strongly urged to help protect and preserve the Great Wall.
    The map is a community project. Users are encouraged to contribute additions, corrections, and suggestions.

The map contains the following features:
    • 269 Great Wall paths totaling 587 kilometers (365 miles)
    • 69 Great Wall location markers
    • 1222 tower location markers
    • 35 driving routes totaling 2879 kilometers (1789 miles)
    • 102 hiking trails totaling 89 kilometers (55 miles)
    • 10 cable cars, toboggans, slides
    • 43 fortress locations and 39 fortress outlines
    • District, county, and municipality borders
    • Beijing city walls
    • Other items of interest
    All items are carefully organized in a hierarchy of folders.

Please note that this map only covers the Beijing Municipality area. The map includes an installer that works only with Microsoft Windows. It is not available for other operating systems.

The Beijing Great Wall map is a work in progress. This release is dated June 6, 2012. Please check back regularly for updates as we continually improve the map.

After you complete the download and run the setup program, you will find the Beijing Great Wall.kmz file in your documents folder.

For those interested in a preview of what this map looks like, here's a screen shot of the map in the Jiankou and Mutianyu area.

Red lines: Great Wall
    Blue lines: roads
    Yellow lines: trails
    Red pins: towers
    Yellow pins: locations
    Green lines: cable cars, toboggan

All senior members of the Great Wall Forum are welcome to a copy of the latest map at no charge. Just send me a request via Private message.
    Bryan

Re: Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 9

Hi - thanks for organising such an interesting forum. I live in Beijing and have been lucky enough to explore many Great Wall sections around the capital as well as several further west on motorbike trips and also the far west sections around DunHuang. I am keen to get my hands on a map so that I can see where I've been and maybe to contribute to the project. Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I can't find your maps of the whole wall anywhere on the site any more - is it available? I am happy to contribute to the project by paying for a map, but I have a problem in that I only have access to mac. Is it possible to get a KMZ file that I can then load up here? Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lobotomous View Post
      Hi - thanks for organising such an interesting forum. I live in Beijing and have been lucky enough to explore many Great Wall sections around the capital as well as several further west on motorbike trips and also the far west sections around DunHuang. I am keen to get my hands on a map so that I can see where I've been and maybe to contribute to the project. Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I can't find your maps of the whole wall anywhere on the site any more - is it available? I am happy to contribute to the project by paying for a map, but I have a problem in that I only have access to mac. Is it possible to get a KMZ file that I can then load up here? Many thanks!
      Thanks for your inquiry. I am sending you a private message in response.
      Bryan

Comment

Hi,

I too only have access to a Mac - could you send me a file that works on a Mac? I paid for the file before realizing that it was PC only.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dovjeremy View Post
          I too only have access to a Mac - could you send me a file that works on a Mac? I paid for the file before realizing that it was PC only.
          I sent you a private message in response. Thanks for your purchase.
          Bryan

Comment

bump for the mac version. thanks for the useful resource.

Comment

Working...
            X