Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps: Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 7

The Great Wall Forum is pleased to announce the release of version 7 of our detailed map of the Great Wall of China in the Beijing area. This map is packaged as a kmz file for use with Google Earth.

You must comply with the license agreement to use the map. Basically, the agreement contains these rules:
    • The map is only for personal, non-commercial use.
    • You may not copy, redistribute, or modify the map.
    • You are strongly urged to help protect and preserve the Great Wall.
    The map is a community project. Users are encouraged to contribute additions, corrections, and suggestions.

The map contains the following features:
    • 221 Great Wall paths totaling 542 kilometers (337 miles)
    • 65 Great Wall location markers
    • 1192 tower location markers
    • 32 driving routes totaling 2724 kilometers (1692 miles)
    • 92 hiking trails totaling 75 kilometers (47 miles)
    • 10 cable cars, toboggans, slides
    • 42 fortress locations and 33 fortress outlines
    • District and county borders
    • Other items of interest
    All items are carefully organized in a hierarchy of folders.

Please note that this map only covers the Beijing Municipality area. The map includes an installer that works only with Microsoft Windows. It is not available for other operating systems.

The Beijing Great Wall map is a work in progress. The current release is dated August 1, 2011. Please check back regularly for updates as we continually improve the map.

Important note: This thread has been replaced by Detailed map of the Beijing area Great Wall of China version 8.
    Bryan

Re: Detailed map of the Great Wall in the Beijing area version 7

Hi. I'm wondering if it is possible to see a preview of the new map? I'd like to get it but would like to see a sample of what it looks like if that's possible?
    Thanks,
    wicklore

Comment

Here's a screen shot of the map in the Jiankou and Mutianyu area.

Red lines: Great Wall
      Blue lines: roads
      Yellow lines: trails
      Red pins: towers
      Yellow pins: locations
      Green lines: cable cars, toboggan
      Bryan

Comment

hey Bryan, I just bought the detailed map on paypal site, i installed it on my computer and don't know how and where i can find it when i'm connected on google earth. i don't see anything - please help - thank you

Comment

Originally posted by lynicn View Post
          hey Bryan, I just bought the detailed map on paypal site, i installed it on my computer and don't know how and where i can find it when i'm connected on google earth. i don't see anything - please help - thank you
          If the installation completed successfully, you will find a new .kmz file in your Documents folder.
          Bryan

Comment

I have an iPad with google Maps, will this work with it sans internet connection? Also does it show nearby hotels/hostels or places to overnight on the wall or near the wall?
            Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
              I have an iPad with google Maps, will this work with it sans internet connection? Also does it show nearby hotels/hostels or places to overnight on the wall or near the wall?
              Thanks,
              It will work on your iPad if you have Google Earth installed.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/googl...293622097?mt=8

Google Earth can be used offline.

http://earth.google.com/support/bin/...n&answer=21423

It does not include hotels and restaurants.
              Bryan

Comment

hello, i just check again and got the message "the beijing GW of china map has been successfully installed". but i can't find any kmz file.

Comment

Originally posted by lynicn View Post
                  hello, i just check again and got the message "the beijing GW of china map has been successfully installed". but i can't find any kmz file.
                  Please search all of your drives for the file, "Beijing Great Wall.kmz". Thanks.
                  Bryan

Comment

Ok Bryan, I found it. Waow you did such a good job. As we say in french "un boulot de dingue" ! i'm sure this will give me the opportunity to discover much places on the great wall this year ! great - thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                    X