No announcement yet.

Map of walls from pre Ming dynasties?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps: Map of walls from pre Ming dynasties?

Are there any maps available that will detail the locations and names of all non Ming dynasty wall sections? Much like the fantastic GreatWallForum maps for Google Earth? It would be very interesting especially to see just how much of the older walls still remain, especially within the Beijing area (where I live). I know there may be Qi wall remains in Simatai and Gubeikou, but is there much else and from other dynasties/periods too? I would love to be able to see and photograph as much as I can.

Re: Map of walls from pre Ming dynasties?

Originally posted by PWCCA View Post
    Are there any maps available that will detail the locations and names of all non Ming dynasty wall sections? Much like the fantastic GreatWallForum maps for Google Earth? It would be very interesting especially to see just how much of the older walls still remain, especially within the Beijing area (where I live). I know there may be Qi wall remains in Simatai and Gubeikou, but is there much else and from other dynasties/periods too? I would love to be able to see and photograph as much as I can.
    I propose you apply to be added to the Approved Users Forum.
    Yes, we have a lot of information about the Walls from Zhao, Qin, Han, Jin, Zhongshan, Qi, Chu and others. And we have a map too ;-).
    This summer I visited the walls of Zhao, Qin, Han and Jin in Inner Mongolia and the Walls of Ming and Bei Qi at Gubeikou.

We have so much more information and need all help to improve our maps.

-chinoook
    chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
    chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
    chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
      I propose you apply to be added to the Approved Users Forum.
      Yes, we have a lot of information about the Walls from Zhao, Qin, Han, Jin, Zhongshan, Qi, Chu and others. And we have a map too ;-).
      This summer I visited the walls of Zhao, Qin, Han and Jin in Inner Mongolia and the Walls of Ming and Bei Qi at Gubeikou.

We have so much more information and need all help to improve our maps.

-chinoook
      Approved users forum? What is this and how do I get added.

I just saw all your Inner Mongolia shots, you have taken some amazing shots. I am especially interested in seeing the sections of Qin wall that you photographed. i was thinking of planning a lil trip to both inner and outer Mongolia next spring, I think it will be a definite yes now.

Comment

Originally posted by PWCCA View Post
        Approved users forum? What is this and how do I get added.
        Please stand by for a private message about the approved users forum and the maps you asked about...
        Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          Please stand by for a private message about the approved users forum and the maps you asked about...
          Thanks a lot Bryan

Comment

The best resources are probably the Great Wall sections in the various volumes of 中国文物地图集, which are published by province. Not all are published, but many of the ones for provinces with walls have been. There is usually a specialized map in the map volume and also a description of individual sites. As far as I know a general survey based on field research/archaeology has not been done. One might also consult the bibliographies of Donald Wagner (annotated) and of the China Heritage Quarterly.
            Last edited by jdwatson; 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X