Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geotag

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
    Right. Jpeg EXIF files are an open standard. RAW files are not standard at all. It has nothing to do with Nikon.

However, I do not know if any third party software can reliably read the "Exif" data in the Nikon RAW format. I would be surprised.
    No, it seems most producers have their own standard. My Nikon cameras produce NEF files and my Olympus produce ORF files so that's a bit confusing.

Anyway I will stick to my Nikon software so not really a big problem

Comment

I did some more tests.

It seems websites like Panoramio have somme difficulties reading the GPS data after processing the picture in Photoshop. However there seems to be no problem when using free software like Photoscape.

However making all the conversion and image adjustments in CaptureNX (probably only useful if you use a Nikon camera and shoot in RAW) preserve the exif data including the geotag so the images can be uploaded to Panoramio without any problem and the photo is placed correctly.

So if your main purpose for the geotag is to be able to upload to Panoramio and you want to avoid too many difficulties (and software), it might be a better choice just to log the trek with a normal GPS and then geotag the processed pictures. If your purpose is the be able to see exactly where you shoot the picture afterwards I consider GP-1 a very good choice.

I use CaptureNX anyway so I don't consider this to be any problem at all.
      Last edited by Kim; 03-19-2010, 06:33 AM.

Comment

What version of Photoshop are you using?
        Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by bryan View Post
          what version of photoshop are you using?
          pe8

Comment

After yesterdays trip to Hekou (Qinkuangdao) I checked some geotaged images against the recorded trek from my Garmin Dakota 20 and it's a pretty good match with no more than a few meters difference.

The GE images seems to be misaligned with about 65 meters in this area, according to both the Garmin Dakota and Nikon GP-1.

Comment

I ordered a Bluetooth GPS online several days ago. So many benefits here:
              + Cheap,Just $150.
              + no annoying cables
              + nothing draining the camera battery
              + reception is better ( handheld trekking GPS have a better reception )
              + most people already have a handheld GPS lying around, so you can save your $$ instead of investing in a GPS unit which plugs into your camera.

Comment

It seems great. What brand are you saying? I don

Comment

Correct. Mine is Eztag.

Comment

I use Eztag GPS and its free software. But most of the time, I do not need the software to get geo info. When I take photos, the geo infos are recorded to photos automatically.

Comment

I finally got around to using Garmin BaseCamp to geotag my Great Wall photos from 2010. It worked very well. It was fast and easy. Since I knew the exact offset between my camera's time and the GPS time for every day, it was very accurate. I have started uploading some photos to Panoramio and there have been no issues with the location information in the images. I didn't try tagging any raw image files; only jpegs.

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                        I finally got around to using Garmin BaseCamp to geotag my Great Wall photos from 2010. It worked very well. It was fast and easy. Since I knew the exact offset between my camera's time and the GPS time for every day, it was very accurate. I have started uploading some photos to Panoramio and there have been no issues with the location information in the images. I didn't try tagging any raw image files; only jpegs.
                        I noticed a lot of new photos from you on Panoramio. However when thinking about protecting the Great Wall I consider it a very bad idea to post photos of inscribed bricks on Panoramio - too many unhappy stories about what might happen to those bricks after they have been published.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                          I noticed a lot of new photos from you on Panoramio. However when thinking about protecting the Great Wall I consider it a very bad idea to post photos of inscribed bricks on Panoramio - too many unhappy stories about what might happen to those bricks after they have been published.
                          You're right, so I deleted those.
                          Bryan

Comment

Working...
                          X