Geotag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS: Geotag

Does anyone know some software to automatic geotag images using a gps trek and comparing the time stamp of the photo?

Geotagging

While I don't have any experience with it personally, this one looks good based on their Website.

http://geotag.sourceforge.net/

I have have good experiences with other Sourceforge products.
    Bryan

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a try with yesterdays pictures from Heliukou

Comment

Great software and very easy to use

Comment

Re: Geotag

This seems like an interesting alternative:

http://www.metagps.com/blog/

Comment

I consider buying a Nikon GP-1:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...-GPS-Unit.html

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
              I consider buying a Nikon GP-1:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...-GPS-Unit.html

Does anyone have any experience with this?
              Many of the reviewers at Amazon say that it takes a long time to locate satellites and requires an unobstructed view of the sky. It's not going to compare with your Garmin for speed and accuracy. And it's not going to help with your camera's battery life either! So my inclination would be to seek a software solution to get the data from the Garmin's gpx files. This is why I always carefully sync the time on my camera to GMT while traveling.

However, it is a very inviting idea.

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/2698

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ccessory.shtml
              Bryan

Comment

Many of the reviewers at Amazon say that it takes a long time to locate satellites and requires an unobstructed view of the sky.
                Not a big problem on the Great Wall.

It's not going to compare with your Garmin for speed and accuracy.
                I do not consider this as a substitute for my Garmin. I only wish for an easier way to geotag my photos.

And it's not going to help with your camera's battery life either!
                I know, so I only consider to use this on one day hikes or hikes lasting a few days but on longer hikes it would be impractical because of the battery use.

So my inclination would be to seek a software solution to get the data from the Garmin's gpx files. This is why I always carefully sync the time on my camera to GMT while traveling.
                It's no problem to get the data from the gpx file, but it would be so much easier to have the location saved directly to each photos exif data.

It's too expensive to buy in Denmark, so I will try to find it when I'm back in China.

Comment

I only wish for an easier way to geotag my photos. It would be so much easier to have the location saved directly to each photos exif data.

It's too expensive to buy in Denmark, so I will try to find it when I'm back in China.
                  I intend to buy a GPS unit for my Canon for next May's trip. Here they cost
                  It is better to travel ten thousand miles than to read ten thousand books.

Comment

[QUOTE=China Darren;7388]I intend to buy a GPS unit for my Canon for next May's trip. Here they cost
                    Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                      Are you looking for a regular handheld GPS or something that works with your camera?
                      Both really. One so the camera 'remembers' automatically and a handheld Garmin for downloading maps for hiking in the UK or China. The only camera one I can find in the UK is made by Jobo.
                      It is better to travel ten thousand miles than to read ten thousand books.

Comment

[QUOTE=China Darren;7388]I intend to buy a GPS unit for my Canon for next May's trip. Here they cost

Comment

Just bought the GP-1 in Zhongguancun, Beijing - about 400 RMB cheaper compared to prices at home.

Still I don't understand how a simple GPS antenna can be almost the same price as a MUCH more advanced Garmin Dakota

I look forward to test it on the wall and see just how much more battery the camera use with the GPS connected.

Comment

Still I don't understand how a simple GPS antenna can be almost the same price as a MUCH more advanced Garmin Dakota
                            Supply and demand

I look forward to hearing about your results with this device. I hope it works well for you. Reviews on the Web seem to be mixed.
                            Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                              Supply and demand
                              Yes, probably only a few people are crazy enough to buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X