Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Etrex H

Hi All,
    I recently bought a garmin Etrex H to help me hike the GW. I am wondering if you guys can give me some advice on this GPS.

I would like to have a function whereby you can input the co-ordinates and hence hike the pre-programmed route/path.
    Thanks
    Ken

Re: Garmin Etrex H

That's quite easy. Take the GW path as .kmz, convert it by GPSBabel (a free tool, just download it somewhere on the Web) to the Garmin format and upload it to your device. That's all.

Maybe you want to take the paths I prepared for Hin's next walk.

-chinoook
    Last edited by chinoook; 05-11-2010, 06:47 PM.
    chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
    chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
    chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Hi Chinoook, I think the Garmin Etrex H does not have this function capablity because there is not a port where you can connect a cable !!
      Yes, I am preparing for the walk with Hin and also a separate trip to Dunhuang for the Han GW.
      Maybe I need to buy a better GPS?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Without question - I would do that. I own a Garmin Vista HCx which did a good job for GW exploration so far. Other Garmin devices do the same job or even better (Dakota, Oregon). And there are many other brands of good GPS devices who all should do the job. You should inform yourself before buying one.

-chinoook
        chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
        chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
        chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Hi Chinoook, I think the Garmin Etrex H does not have this function capablity because there is not a port where you can connect a cable !!
          Yes, I am preparing for the walk with Hin and also a separate trip to Dunhuang for the Han GW.
          It should be possilbe to connect it to a computer but unlike the new GPS devices you can buy it use a special cable. I have a cable for mine.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=654#featureTab

The port is hidden by some rubber on the back of the device (in the top, above the battery compartment).

However I would suggest you to buy a new one with better battery life. I never use mine but only keep it as a backup in case I accidental lose my other GPS device

Comment

I think the eTrex H is a non-mapping type of GPS and therefore it may not have a computer interface.
            Bryan

Comment

Hello All,
              I am trying to change the Google Earth files kmz into what kind of file for use in the Etrex H using GPSbabel?
              .mps ?.gpi ? .gdb?
              Thanks

Comment

gpx
                Bryan

Comment

Bryan, is it GPX XML ???

Comment

Yes, GPX XML. I don't have any experience with the eTrex H but that's the correct format for use with Garmin software such as Mapsource, and it works directly with some receivers such as the Dakota and Oregon.
                    Bryan

Comment

Working...
                    X