Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS: GPS and maps

Originally posted by bentrw View Post
    I need a new GPS, any thoughts on where to pick one up in Shanghai or Beijing?
    Sanfo Outdoor
    Bryan

Re: GPS and maps

Like Bryan wrote, you will be able to by a GPS receiver at Sanfo Outdoor shop, they have shops in both Beijing and Shanghai. Another option would be to go to one of the big markets selling electronical equipment - any good guide book should tell you where to find that. You will probably find more to choose from at the market.

This one might be a good place: http://www.beijing-visitor.com/index...D=422&pID=1229

Comment

Does anyone of you know wether they sell GPS devices with chinese base maps? Garmin?

-chinoook
      chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
      chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
      chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
        Does anyone of you know wether they sell GPS devices with chinese base maps? Garmin?

-chinoook
        See Unistrong City Navigator China NT SD Card
        Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          Does anyone of you have any experience with these maps?

-chinoook

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

I use a BlackBerry which supports Google Maps, or rather should I say that Google maps supports BlackBerry. I know that there are a limited number of dedicated GPS devices and mobile phones that also use this function...

Supported GPS devices here: http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_gps.html

Supported mobile phones here: http://www.google.com/mobile/product...html#p=default

I have found it extremely versatile and handy to have as it works anywhere regardless of region provided you have Edge, GPRS, HDMA or 3G connectivity.
            Whilst the functionality of navigating is not as convenient as a stand alone GPS they are an extremely handy device and I take it everywhere when I travel.

Comment

Does anyone of you have any experience with these maps?

-chinoook
              I use China Country Map and China City Navigator Eng v5.51 on my Garmin n

Comment

[QUOTE=Kim;6884]I use China Country Map and China City Navigator Eng v5.51 on my Garmin n

Comment

These maps don't work with the Garmin handheld devices, right?

-chinoook
                  If I understand correctly they can probably only be used with the n

Comment

The Oregon, Dakota and Colorado devices are now capable to use custom maps!
                    http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/
                    "kmz files are read from \Garmin\CustomMaps directory on both the unit's internal memory and on the sd card."
                    "Each jpeg should be less than 3MB."
                    "The max number of Custom Map jpegs you can load is 100."

If only they would not have these ridiculous limits (100 maps, # of waypoints/tracs/routes) and had lower power consumption.

-chinoook
                    Last edited by chinoook; 10-22-2009, 08:29 AM.

Comment

The Oregon, Dakota and Colorado devices are now capable to use custom maps!
                      http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/
                      "kmz files are read from \Garmin\CustomMaps directory on both the unit's internal memory and on the sd card."
                      "Each jpeg should be less than 3MB."
                      "The max number of Custom Map jpegs you can load is 100."

If only they would not have these ridiculous limits (100 maps, # of waypoints/tracs/routes) and had lower power consumption.

-chinoook
                      Wow, that's awesome. That would be extremely useful. I will wait a while and see if that same software update becomes available for the 60CSx. If not, it's going to be hard to resist getting a Dakota. I really like everything about the Dakota except for the screen's lack of readability in bright sunlight.

100 3-meg maps doesn't sound too limiting, and I have never come up against the 1000-waypoint limit, but 20 tracks of 500 points each is truly ridiculous. Note the Dakota doesn't have this limitation; it supports 200 tracks!
                      Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                        Wow, that's awesome. That would be extremely useful. I will wait a while and see if that same software update becomes available for the 60CSx. If not, it's going to be hard to resist getting a Dakota. I really like everything about the Dakota except for the screen's lack of readability in bright sunlight.

100 3-meg maps doesn't sound too limiting, and I have never come up against the 1000-waypoint limit, but 20 tracks of 500 points each is truly ridiculous. Note the Dakota doesn't have this limitation; it supports 200 tracks!
                        You are right. And the Dakota's power consumption is not _that_ bad. Only it has the small resolution screen which again reduces the usability of scanned maps. I am about sure I want to buy the Dakota but I am also sure I will _very_ much miss the display of my vista HCx and also complain the weight of the batteries I will have to carry on long walks in rural China.

-chinoook

Comment

These maps don't work with the Garmin handheld devices, right?
                          Some of the Garmin handheld receivers are available with the China base maps preinstalled. They can only be purchased in China.

eTrex Vista HCx
                          GPSMap 60CSx
                          Bryan

Comment

Did anyone of you guys make use of this tool:

A new service called TakeItWithMe now lets you transfer Google My Maps and Google Earth KML content directly to Garmin handheld GPS devices using the recently announced Garmin Communicator API. Or alternatively you can use this tool to convert Google My Maps to GPX format.

-chinoook

Comment

Working...
                            X