panaramio withdrawl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panaramio withdrawl

It's a shame that we will likely lose panaramio's from GE. They can often help in confirming whether lines on the map are walls or just wishful thinking.

Re: panaramio withdrawl

I think most Panoramio content will be migrated to Google Views but they have been annoyingly sparse with details. Some feel even Google Earth is in jeapordy!
    Bryan

Comment

Huh?!
      If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
      Journeys, &c

Comment

The bad news:

Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)

An update from Google on the future migration of Panoramio to Views
        Bryan

Comment

I see. But I have to say, GE itself is far more valuable to me than Panoramio. they're not canning GE itself, right?
          Journeys, &c

Comment

Nothing official from Google regarding Earth, but there are rumors. They are cutting back on the non-revenue-generating KML support in Google Maps. link
            Bryan

Comment

But this is (if I understand it correctly) talking only about the classic maps view, not the newer (updated) My Maps...

Comment

Announcement from Google:

Among Google's geo-imagery efforts, we strive to balance what makes sense for you, the pro or enthusiast photographer, with the needs of consumers. Achieving this balance can be a challenge, especially when publishing tools are managed under separate products, such as Panoramio, Views, Google+ and Google Maps

So today, after listening to community feedback about the future of the platform, we're pleased to let you know that there won't be any immediate changes to Panoramio. Instead of aligning the community with Views, we've gone back to the drawing board to work on a more integrated solution that supports you and your content directly within Google Maps.

We'll be taking the necessary time to get this right as we build a solution that strives to meet the majority of your needs. Thanks for your input, and for your patience in the year ahead.

James Therrien
                Google, Inc.
                Bryan

Comment

It's official now. Panoramio is closing. Visit the site for details. www.panoramio.com
                  Bryan

Comment

Has anyone moved their Panoramio photos to any other site? I cannot find any good photo sharing site with a good MAP front end.

Comment

This might help: Comparing Panoramio alternatives.

Migrating from Panoramio: A New Home for Geotagged Photos

For now it seems Panoramio photos still show on Google Earth.
                      Bryan

Comment

I think they will still display for a year. One of the replacements is MapSights, I had a look at it today - typed in a village name and sure enough all the pictures are there. Harder to use when it isn't overlaid on GE but better than nothing I suppose.
                        Journeys, &c

Comment

Working...
                        X