Bei Qi Great Wall at Gubeikou

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos! Bei Qi Great Wall at Gubeikou

First I have to apologize for the bad quality of the photos. The morning was very hazy and very nice (not too warm) but bad for taking photographs.
    I certainly will return to this magic place for further investigation but for the moment we have to live with the bad quality photos.

Gubeikoucun to the left, Gubeikou to the right:

The local cooperative has built some paths for touristic purposes but did it quite well. No destruction visible and the paths are not to easy to walk so only enthusiasts would walk them:

The wall is in amazing good condition, very probably to reparation by the Ming (and others?). Keep in mind that the wall was built roughly 1000 years before the Ming started to build their walls. At some places later repair is visible:

At some places the original top layer ist still in place:

At places where restauration was neccessary it was done in a very cautious way and only to preserve the actual state. If only all restauration work would be done in such a amicable way ...

The wall is up to 8m in height and in surprising good condition on the northern side. The southern side does not have any bricks any more (only beacon towers still have). I refuse to accept that there had not been bricks, I assume the bricks had been used by the local villagers (the village is on the north side).

-chinoook
    chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
    chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
    chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Re: Bei Qi Great Wall at Gubeikou

Thanks for sharing the pictures, gives me some idea on what to expect at GuiBeiKou cun and Bei Qi.

Btw.. if i may, how does the wall look when looking up from the village?. Does it blend in with the hills or does its profile stand out clearly. Sorry for the strange questions, but for this meteor watching trip im more interested in the superficial things like looks etc

-sarav

Comment

Originally posted by saravk View Post
      Thanks for sharing the pictures, gives me some idea on what to expect at GuiBeiKou cun and Bei Qi.

Btw.. if i may, how does the wall look when looking up from the village?. Does it blend in with the hills or does its profile stand out clearly. Sorry for the strange questions, but for this meteor watching trip im more interested in the superficial things like looks etc

-sarav
      From the village, much of the Great Wall is obscured by buildings or trees. There are a few places where it stands out.
      Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
        From the village, much of the Great Wall is obscured by buildings or trees. There are a few places where it stands out.
        Thanks for the info..

Comment

Working...
        X