Shapoyu from Illustrated London News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos! Shapoyu from Illustrated London News

Shapoyu looks like an interesting place in this 1863 Illustrated London News print.

The image seems to depict the northern side of the wall looking south.

With the new expressway between Tangshan and Chengde, it is very easy reach this location, so I hope to go there next month.

Re: Shapoyu from Illustrated London News

If it really looks like that drawing, it must be a very impressive place. Great job finding that and good luck on your visit there.
    Bryan

Comment

I guess it does look a bit like the real thing.

From todays visit:

Most of the bottom part that can be seen on the drawing has disappeared due to weathering and road construction, but it was a bit difficult to get a good photo because of all the trees.

This is one of the most difficult parts of the Great Wall I have ever visited. Not because it is steep - it is actually rather flat for most part - but because the wall is almost completely covered by thick shrubs and only the first short part has a path to follow. To get to the top most watch tower was the toughest struggle ever.

Comment

This photo describe my impression of Shapoyu very well.

Some local shepherd told me 不好走 - I totally agree. However there are some interesting wall designs and the eastern part is a bit easier that the western part regarding the shrubs.

Notice the battlement in both side of the wall here.

Comment

Wow, that's worse than I have ever seen, worse than at the Moyashike inner wall:

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          Moyashike Great Wall: Inner Wall
          Bryan

Comment

Working...
          X