Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos! Naziyu photos

Saturday was a nice clear day, unfortunately Sunday was not

Anyway I had planed a Great Wall trip, so no need to cry about bad weather.

This is surely one of the most beautiful of my many GW trips, and on a clear day Naziyu would surely offer one of the best views in Hebei.

The great wall close to the village of Naziyu:

The Great Wall on the south bank:

On of three fighting platforms on the southern bank:

On of three fighting platforms on the southern bank:

Another fighting platform:

The third fighting platform:

Naziyu Great Wall:

Naziyu Great Wall:

Naziyu Great Wall:

Remnants of a tower:

Naziyu Great Wall:

Forest or Great Wall? Both! I've never been to a Great Wall location with so many trees on the wall.

Last edited by Kim; 10-19-2009, 04:34 AM.

Re: Naziyu photos

Autumn colours at Naziyu - unfortunately the fog does not offer the best conditions for taking photos:

Naziyu Great Wall:

Autumn colours at Naziyu:

Getting close to the top:

Naziyu Great Wall:

On a clear day it would be possible to see north towards Yiyuankou and Banchangyu:

Steps:

Brick wall:

Looking down:

Getting close to the top:

Except for the top towers most of the towers at Naziyu are not very well preserved:

Naziyu watch tower:

Autumn colours at Naziyu:

Last edited by Kim; 10-18-2009, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Naziyu is probably one of the best places in Hebei to see the autumn colours:

The wall turns into a stone wall around here:

Approaching the Xifulou watch tower:

The best preserved tower is the beautiful Xifulou (媳妇楼) located here:

Very well preserved carvings on the Xifulou doorway:

Xifulou watch tower:

The end of the line. It would probably be possible to continue to the next tower, but that would be a difficult climb and not one I wanted to do alone. It's a bit difficult to see but there's a watch tower on the top of the mountain in the background. The tower to the left is part of the Huachangyu Great Wall:

Hard to reach:

Last edited by Kim; 10-18-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Re: Naziyu Great Wall photos

Thanks so much for showing us these photos. Even in spite of the foggy weather, they are gorgeous. Naziyu is a beautiful place and I can't wait to see it. Together we can attempt that climb to the next tower going towards Huachangyu.

Xifulou is a very special tower, a real national treasure, and I hope it's preserved in its present condition for a long time.
        Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          Thanks so much for showing us these photos. Even in spite of the foggy weather, they are gorgeous. Naziyu is a beautiful place and I can't wait to see it. Together we can attempt that climb to the next tower going towards Huachangyu.

Xifulou is a very special tower, a real national treasure, and I hope it's preserved in its present condition for a long time.
          It will now be easy but I don't think it will be impossible to continue from this point. To follow the wall all the way to Huachangyu will probably not be possible (it is very steep north of Huaxhangyu). Probably it will be necessary to walk down from the mountain and then follow the road towards Huachangyu.

This area marks the beginning of probably the most difficult part in all of the Eastern part of Hebei.

Yes, Xifulou is definitely one of the top Eastern Hebei towers.

Comment

Actually I plan to visit the Huachangyu area again later this year, to try to find a path up to the wall close to the Naziyu section.

Comment

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing those photos.

Comment

Originally posted by andarchen View Post
                Beautiful! Thanks for sharing those photos.
                You are welcome. I already plan to go there again in October next year - this time on a clear day

Comment

These photos are great, the watchtowers doorways with the carving are very interesting. The colors are amazing as well. I am familiar with the barrier walls at Jinshanling, but I am not familiar with fighting platforms are they apart from the wall, set off on there own and how many men could they hold?
                  I am a genuine novice, but this is fasicinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Dano View Post
                    These photos are great, the watchtowers doorways with the carving are very interesting. The colors are amazing as well. I am familiar with the barrier walls at Jinshanling, but I am not familiar with fighting platforms are they apart from the wall, set off on there own and how many men could they hold?
                    I am a genuine novice, but this is fasicinating.
                    These fighting platforms are located outside the wall - at Naziyu between 10 og 30 meter - on the enemy side (west of the wall here). They seem to be very normal in this area and can also be found in the neighbouring valley (Huachangyu) to the south:

I don't know how many men could hold.

Comment

I can only imagine what it must have been like to be posted on a fighting platform with an invading army approaching. At any rate your pictures are a pleasure to view.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                          Together we can attempt that climb to the next tower going towards Huachangyu.
                          I reached that tower yesterday on a beautiful clear day - from here I was able to see parts of the wall all the way to Zhuizishan about 18 kilometres away.

Actually it is very easy to reach this tower, it is just a matter of finding the right path. The tower seems to be older than the rest of the Naziyu towers but very well preserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                            Great pictures, I do like those decoration-reli

Comment

[QUOTE=Lodewijk;11327]Great pictures, I do like those decoration-reli

Comment

Working...
                              X