• Show
Clear All

• Photos! Jiumenkou photos

Post your Jiumenkou photos here.
    Bryan

Jiumenkou (Liaoning)

Comment

Re: Jiumenkou photos

The second photo is how the bottom of Jiumenkou is held together. I was fortunate because of the low tide.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        The second photo is how the bottom of Jiumenkou is held together. I was fortunate because of the low tide.

No wonder Jiumenkou was called Yipianshi(Chinese:一片石 English: A huge piece of stone) in Ming dynasty,i had heard that its bottom was constructured by thousands piece of granite before, i can see the real bottom clearly today.Thanks for sharing your photos.
        Last edited by andarchen; 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks for showing me something I have never seen or even heard about before!
          Bryan

Comment

I've seen examples of this in museums but never at the Great Wall itself - thank you very much for sharing this photo.

Comment

I am not sure if you guys already know this but the first photo is the underground tunnel. It is around 1-2 km long and stretches from the enemy side deep into Ming China side. It was used to ambush the enemy from behind.Inside are many rooms for resting, cooking, military command posts discussion, weapons chamber. It was however quite scary walking inside !!

The second photo is beyong belief. They erected a wall to prevent people climbing on the other side of Jiumenkou

Comment

If the enemy sailed towards Jiumenkou, their boats would be bogged down by these stones below. As the enemy sailed towards Jiumenkou, the depth becomes shallower around the stones. Very clever and interesting

Comment

The second photo is beyong belief. They erected a wall to prevent people climbing on the other side of Jiumenkou
                  That is very normal and seen at several locations. More likely it's to keep non-paying visitors from entering the restored section.
                  Last edited by Kim; 09-02-2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I am not sure if you guys already know this but the first photo is the underground tunnel. It is around 1-2 km long and stretches from the enemy side deep into Ming China side. It was used to ambush the enemy from behind.Inside are many rooms for resting, cooking, military command posts discussion, weapons chamber. It was however quite scary walking inside !!
                    Not much information to be found, but the tunnel seems to be a modern military installation.

Comment

Comment

I hope some of the member who visited Jiumenkou (and possible Shanhaiguan) will help to argue here http://www.flickr.com/photos/51438104@N00/197314692 that the photo at flickr is taken at Jiumenkou and not Shanhaiguan. Jiumenkou does not even belongs to Shanhaiguan District (山海关区).

It annoys me to see this photo used on Wikipedia to illustrate Shanhaiguan

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                          I hope some of the member who visited Jiumenkou (and possible Shanhaiguan) will help to argue here http://www.flickr.com/photos/51438104@N00/197314692 that the photo at flickr is taken at Jiumenkou and not Shanhaiguan. Jiumenkou does not even belongs to Shanhaiguan District (山海关区).

You're right, obviously, and I finally did.
                          Bryan

Comment

pictures taken 22/4 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post

Totally clear this picture is taken at Jiumenkou 22/4 2012. a little different angel I belive the other picture is shoot at the foot of the bridge. Just compare the towers.

Last edited by rikrock; 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X