Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really Liaoning Great Wall?

I have found this web below.
    But I can not believe that it is real Great Wall in Liaoning.
    Because the wall looks stable and it's east end is connecing the gate of the building which seems to be a factory or anything.
    http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/i...oning_Province

Originally posted by h-sekizawa View Post
    I have found this web below.
    But I can not believe that it is real GW in Liaoning.
    Because the wall looks stable and it's east end is connecing the gate of the building which seems to be a factory or anything.
    http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/i...oning_Province
    It goes all the way round the buildings. Might be some kind of military facility and definitely not Great Wall.

Comment

Thanks,Kim

Originally posted by Kim View Post
      It goes all the way round the buildings. Might be some kind of military facility and definitely not Great Wall.
      Thanks,Kim.
      I have just deleted it from my GE.
      I'm going to try to find another Great Wall in Liaoning.

Comment

Originally posted by h-sekizawa View Post
        Thanks,Kim.
        I have just deleted it from my GE.
        I'm going to try to find another Great Wall in Liaoning.
        There is some real Great Wall not so far from what you showed here.

Comment

I cannot help myself, but I consider it Great Wall. There are visible (at least possible) watchtowers, at least one of the paths is running along a ridge and looks very much like Great Wall. The fact that a continuation runs along recent buildings does not say much in my opinion.
          I see even a new (and probably much more clear case) north-east.

For further discussion I named the items.

-chinoook
          Last edited by chinoook; 06-04-2009, 09:46 AM.
          chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
          chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
          chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
            I cannot help myself, but I consider it Great Wall. There are visible (at least possible) watchtowers, at least one of the paths is running along a ridge and looks very much like Great Wall. The fact that a continuation runs along recent buildings does not say much in my opinion.
            I see even a new (and probably much more clear case) north-east.

For further discussion I named the items.

-chinoook
            11: possible

a: This wall is new. There is no sign of decay and it correspond with a wall to the north. This is without doubt a kind of enclosure. A wall of the exact same appearance runs along new buildings. It does not look like any Great Wall. The fact that it runs along a ridge does not make it Great Wall.

1: no tower here

2: might be a small building but not a tower

b: part of the wall is at the foot of the hill. The wall is new and part of the same enclosure as a.

3: a small building but not a tower

12: possible Great Wall tower

13: probably natural

14: probably natural

A: most likely the real thing This is the way the wall should look like in this area! It continues to the west to from a big loop here - see attached.

15: probably a beacon tower. This kind seems to be typical in this area.

16: the base of a mast
            Last edited by Kim; 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

11: possible

a: This wall is new. There is no sign of decay and it correspond with a wall to the north. This is without doubt a kind of enclosure. A wall of the exact same appearance runs along new buildings. It does not look like any Great Wall. The fact that it runs along a ridge does not make it Great Wall.

1: no tower here

2: might be a small building but not a tower

b: part of the wall is at the foot of the hill. The wall is new and part of the same enclosure as a.

3: a small building but not a tower

12: possible Great Wall tower

13: probably natural

14: probably natural

A: most likely the real thing This is the way the wall should look like in this area! It continues to the west to from a big loop here - see attached.

15: probably a beacon tower. This kind seems to be typical in this area.

16: the base of a mast

I think we can agree and we together found a new section of Liaoning Great Wall. Great!

One more tower: 40

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

[QUOTE=chinoook;5201]
                One more tower: 40

Comment

This looks like a tower: 40

Comment

I think the wall continues according to the attached. That more or less match the map I have of this area.

I've already decided to spend some of the October holidy in Xingcheng to visit the Great Wall in this area

Comment

I've already decided to spend some of the October holidy in Xingcheng to visit the Great Wall in this area
                      Bryan

Comment

Possible tower candidate here:

Comment

[QUOTE=chinoook;5208]Possible tower candidate here:

Comment

re: Is this really Liaoning Great Wall?

Bryan

You approved what? Kim found new location in Liaoning.

What is the conclusion ? Where is GPS points ?

Sorry, I lost.

Comment

re: Is this really Liaoning Great Wall?

Originally posted by FreddyMusic View Post
                              Bryan

You approved what? Kim found new location in Liaoning.

What is the conclusion ? Where is GPS points ?

Sorry, I lost.
                              You should be able to get the GPS points by opening the kmz file in Google Earth and check some coordinates along the paths.

Comment

Working...
                              X