X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos! Damaoshan photos

Damaoshan photo

This is really a great photo.

One interesting thing about it is the barrier walls, the short walls perpendicular to the main line of the Great Wall. These walls were added as a contingency to enable defense of towers against any enemy that might be able to gain access onto the Great Wall at lower points. Many people think that these are only found in the Gubeikou / Jinshanling / Simatai area on the Miyun, Beijing and Luanping, Hebei border. I have read this in several books and at a number of Websites. Your photo proves that barrier walls are also to be found in Qinhuangdao. It would be interesting to know in how many places they can be found. Do you recall seeing them in other areas besides for Damaoshan?
    Bryan

Comment

Some more photos from Damaoshan

Comment

Originally posted by greatwallforum View Post

One interesting thing about it is the barrier walls, the short walls perpendicular to the main line of the Great Wall. These walls were added as a contingency to enable defense of towers against any enemy that might be able to gain access onto the Great Wall at lower points. Many people think that these are only found in the Gubeikou / Jinshanling / Simatai area on the Miyun, Beijing and Luanping, Hebei border. I have read this in several books and at a number of Websites. Your photo proves that barrier walls are also to be found in Qinhuangdao. It would be interesting to know in how many places they can be found. Do you recall seeing them in other areas besides for Damaoshan?
        Damaoshan is the only place in Hebei I've seen this kind of barrier walls, but I would be surprised if that's the only place in Hebei. I guess those authors could learn a lot if they visited the Great Wall treasures in Hebei

Comment

Originally posted by greatwallforum View Post

The strange thing is that these barrier walls are only about 8 bricks high, so it would not be very comfortable to fight behind these because they will only protect a small part of the body.

Comment

Working...
          X