Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos! Jiankou's danger zone

Jiankou from Zhengbeilou west to Jiankou pass

This is the most dangerous part of Jiankou and one of the most dangerous areas along the entire Great Wall of China. Building the Great Wall on this very steep and narrow ridge was surely a huge challenge and the result is magnificent even in its current, highly deteriorated state. The difficult terrain resulted in many unusual features on this part of the Great Wall. I hiked this span of the Great Wall in both directions in October of 2010. It was one of my most interesting Great Wall experiences but also one of the most scary.

A very narrow place

Throughout this area you will find the Great Wall fitted closely to the cliffs and rocks

The path of the Great Wall actually passes through a cave.
    Here we're looking at it from the east

Here we're looking through the cave from south to north

Here we're looking at the cave from the west

Here we're reaching an area of steep descent

Carefully crafted curves such as those at the top of this photo are common in this area

Here the wall makes two 90-degree turns and then a very steep descent

A shooting hole blocked by a step - something I don’t recall seeing before

Beautiful workmanship on steep downhill

At this cliff, various ladders have been installed over the years.
    This one was so poorly constructed it's a wonder anyone would use it.
    I free climbed the cliff instead. I understand this ladder is no longer in place.

Looking at the ladder from its base

The top of the ladder didn't look like it would hold much weight.
    Notice the brickwork in this location, making the cliff just a little bit harder to climb.

A close-up of the top of the ladder

A nearly-intact tower

The wall following a narrow ridgeline

Inside of a tower. The exit at the far end was very tight.

Here's what made that exit so tight

This spot was very risky to climb and great care was needed.

Here's the same place viewed from above

Not a place to slip or misstep

Not sure what this feature was for, but it looked like part of the original construction.

Another very narrow pass

Bryan

Re: Jiankou's danger zone

Awesome Pics Bryan .. I feel jealous !
    If you don't fear DEATH what is there to fear in LIFE?

Comment

Two more

Bryan

Comment

Great photos Bryan

Interesting to note the different terrain along the Great Wall, at this surely seems to be one of those places I really have to go one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
          Great photos Bryan

Interesting to note the different terrain along the Great Wall, at this surely seems to be one of those places I really have to go one day.
          Thanks. The light was really bad; bright, low, direct sun. It's the location that makes the photos good. But unfortunately, I have many photos that would have been great if not for the glare.

It's too bad we weren't able to go here together last year as planned. I am sure you will appreciate it when you do get the opportunity to go ... and I can't wait to see your photos!
          Bryan

Comment

Which way should I approach this section if I want to go down via the area with the rickety ladder (though I must say, compared to other ladders I've seen in the area, the one in your photos looks quite sound!)
            I'd like to do this hike with clients and using protection (fixed lines, harnesses, etc) as if guiding a climbing excursion. Which way would you suggest I approach these sections?
            If I find this to be a suitable location, I'll be going out next weekend and doing the hike with a friend. Thanks.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Chinalaowai View Post
              Which way should I approach this section if I want to go down via the area with the rickety ladder (though I must say, compared to other ladders I've seen in the area, the one in your photos looks quite sound!)
              I'd like to do this hike with clients and using protection (fixed lines, harnesses, etc) as if guiding a climbing excursion. Which way would you suggest I approach these sections?
              If I find this to be a suitable location, I'll be going out next weekend and doing the hike with a friend. Thanks.

Matt
              To go down the ladder you would start at Zhengbeilou (the east). But I have heard the ladder is gone. I have a feeling you prefer it that way.

To me, climbing up is easier than down on the really steep parts. Therefore, I would start at Jiankou pass (the west) rather than Zhengbeilou. That makes most of the steepest parts (3 come to mind) uphill.

I hope you will let us know what you find when you get there.
              Bryan

Comment

bryan, Your photos are just awesome. Most inspiring. We are staying at Xihazi village and by looking at those ricketty ladders, slippery declines etc. this part looks a bit unsafe for us but I would love to get as far as to take those first 2 photos in this series. Would it be possible for us the get from the village up to this point, take those particular shots (and in doing so, see these fantastic sights of course) then go elsewhere for a walk along an easier section? Juliat

Comment

Originally posted by juliat View Post
                  bryan, Your photos are just awesome. Most inspiring. We are staying at Xihazi village and by looking at those ricketty ladders, slippery declines etc. this part looks a bit unsafe for us but I would love to get as far as to take those first 2 photos in this series. Would it be possible for us the get from the village up to this point, take those particular shots (and in doing so, see these fantastic sights of course) then go elsewhere for a walk along an easier section? Juliat
                  No problem. The first photo is from the trail to Zhengbeilou and the second is from the wall just to the west of the tower. You could then turn around and take some photos from atop Zhengbeilou and then continue east towards Niujiaobian and Mutianyu.
                  Bryan

Comment

I just visited JianKou Great Wall for the 3rd time this past weekend. This time we hiked from the mid-section of the Wall : south west from Zhao's Hostel to JianKou and then up to ZhengBei Lou (ZhengBei Tower) and back down to JianKou where the daughter from Zhao's gave us a ride back to the hostel.

Total trip of 6 km, and it took around 6 hours. Some of the initial bits were slower going, we were with a friend from work who was a bit slower. At Jiankou he waited while we hiked up to Zhengbei Lou. It took us an hour up, due to taking the wrong path (more on that in a bit) and about 45 minutes back down. I LOVED this section of the Great Wall, fantastic geography with cliffs, rocks and caves.

This section is the most technical I've seen to date and should only be attempted if your a very strong hiker and extremely comfortable scrambling. There are several portions where if you slipped and fell you would be very hurt if not die from the fall. But if your comfortable with all that its amazing.

The ladders in these pictures are mostly all but gone. One ladder still crosses a span and there is a scramble route to the top of the cliff but then solid rock and wall for 5+ meters and if there used to be a ladder here it would be scaleable but otherwise not possible really to even free climb. We downclimbed and the current route makes it's way up to the right of this section. Its currently aided by a couple of logs tied into the rock. I found this route to be better than the ladder route, lots of good holds.

All Photos : http://www.flickr.com/photos/niffgur...7627152608452/
                    Video : http://www.vimeo.com/26250154

Embedded Photos

Last edited by markgriffith; 07-12-2011, 12:43 AM. Reason: Adding embedded photos

Comment

Wow a great reply! Well done. I can see this is not for the feint hearted. I am strong willed and used to scrambling thru'life but I think this may be beyond me so I think we will attempt to follow Bryan's reply to me and go just a little way along then turn east. Can't wait. I love reading everyones adventures so keep them coming. Juliat

Comment

On doing this hike, is it better to do this hike from Zhengbeilou as a starting point, or the other way ending up at Zhengbeilou? I did the Zhengbeilou to Mutianyu hike on Sunday and whilst gazing down I had a real desire to do the full hike next time, lol

Comment

Originally posted by PWCCA View Post
                          On doing this hike, is it better to do this hike from Zhengbeilou as a starting point, or the other way ending up at Zhengbeilou? I did the Zhengbeilou to Mutianyu hike on Sunday and whilst gazing down I had a real desire to do the full hike next time, lol
                          I've done it in both directions and personally I prefer eastbound (Jiankou to Zhengbeilou). Climbing uphill, while requiring more energy, better enables you to see where you're going.
                          Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                            I've done it in both directions and personally I prefer eastbound (Jiankou to Zhengbeilou). Climbing uphill, while requiring more energy, better enables you to see where you're going.
                            Thanks Bryan. I am toying with the idea of doing this one once the Beijing Autumn hits, when the weather will be a lot better

Comment

We just did the Jainkou section to Mutainyu. I wrote about it in Tripadvisor explaining the dangers. This forum is exactly right and very good pictures describing the murky areas. we did it with our kids aged 10 and 13...good thing we are hikers and experienced scramblers as this was sketchy even for us. If we had read/known this before, we wouldn't have done it to be honest!

if you need more info, let me know!

Comment

Working...
                              X