Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4-8 Weeks summer thru-hike on the Great Wall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-8 Weeks summer thru-hike on the Great Wall?

Hi, I'm based in Hong Kong and have been looking for a 4-8 week thru hike I can do in Asia this summer, starting possibly late May/June. The "ideal" things I'm looking for are:
    - Way-marked trail or relatively easy to follow (not too adventurous or difficult to find the route)
    - Access to the trail via train, would like to minimize my flying
    - Regular resupply points, no great difficulties with water and food
    - Safe for a solo traveler, generally no major concerns with animals/disease

While I have a good amount of experience with lodge trekking (in Asia) and some with backpacking, this will be a bit of a new experience for me on my own so I would consider myself a beginner. I speak minimal Mandarin (basic reading level), but have spent time in China and can continue learning beforehand -- I'm very interested in improving my Mandarin skills.

I understand the Great Wall would be more on the challenging side, but could anyone recommend a section that sounds like it could be what I'm looking for? What about the weather in June possibly beginning of July -- will it simply be too hot and stormy? I'm somewhat "used to" hiking in hot weather in Hong Kong.

If anyone can recommend an alternative thru-hike in Asia or accessible by train, please do let me know!

Thank you!

The Great Wall doesn't really meet your criteria, especially not the first three, at least in terms of a 4-8 week hike. In short stretches here or there it does, but not as a long hike.
    If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
    Journeys, &c

Comment

Working...
    X