Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiking from Longquanyu to Qinglongxia during golden week.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiking from Longquanyu to Qinglongxia during golden week.

Hello everyone,
    So I read through pretty much all threads regarding these areas and all in between. Thanks for all the help you provide on this forum.
    My gf and me are planning to planning to hike this route from 29.9. till roughly 7.10. during golden week. Maybe you can help me with some questions:

1) Do you think it will be a problem to find a stay without a reservation in the evening? We plan to sleep like half of the nights in towers without a tent, but in case of heavy rain or thunder we'd be forced to find something i guess.
    2) Does someone have a recommendation for a hostel in longquanyu? We'd arrive there in the evening of 28 by bus so we can reserve at least that one for sure.
    3) Can you hike the tourist sections during the early morning or late evening, to circumvent the crowds and perhaps the fee?
    4) Can you buy food and water at Jiugong, looks like there isn't much beside the cementery? So we'd have to carry supplies for whole the way til Tiekuangyu.
    5) Any updated info of the way between Hefangkou and Qinglongxia? Can you get past the fence, is there security?

Hello and welcome,

Originally posted by tkro View Post
    Can you hike the tourist sections during the early morning or late evening, to circumvent the crowds and perhaps the fee?
    There are the following tourist places:
    - Xishuiyu: There is a fence coming from Longquanyu and during day time, there is security, so you have to pay entering.
    - Xiangshuihu: There is a locked gate and fence and there was security when I was there.
    - Mutianyu: No problem entering (no obstacles), but during Golden Week, there is often security, so you need to pay. Might be also a problem leaving Mutianyu towards Lianhuachi due to security.
    - Qinglongxia: Barbed wired and fence (see below) as well as security.

I went there during day time and weekends and I paid at all places.

Can you buy food and water at Jiugong, looks like there isn't much beside the cemetery? So we'd have to carry supplies for whole the way till Tiekuangyu.
    There is only a cemetery, so you need to carry your supplies. Dependent on how fast you're, it's possible to do Huanghuacheng to Tiekuangyu in one day.

Any updated info of the way between Hefangkou and Qinglongxia? Can you get past the fence, is there security?
    Direct access is blocked and barbed wired

on the other side there is a fence and when I was there, there was also security.
    It might be possible to enter, but I returned to Hefangkou and entered Qinglongxia.
    Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      There are the following tourist places:
      - Xishuiyu: There is a fence coming from Longquanyu and during day time, there is security, so you have to pay entering.
      - Xiangshuihu: There is a locked gate and fence and there was security when I was there.
      - Mutianyu: No problem entering (no obstacles), but during Golden Week, there is often security, so you need to pay. Might be also a problem leaving Mutianyu towards Lianhuachi due to security.
      - Qinglongxia: Barbed wired and fence (see below) as well as security.
      What about Huanghuacheng? It's also ticketed right?

Comment

No, you might need to pay a small fee to access the wall, but it's not an official tourist place.
        Jan

Comment

Is the foreigner registration law a problem in these rural areas, i.e. does it happen that places turn down foreigners because of it? Is the law followed and enforced?

Comment

Usually no problem in little village guesthouses.
            If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
            Journeys, &c

Comment

Once many years back I had trouble getting onto Huanghuacheng during Golden Week. They decided they didn't want anyone up there that day so we had to take a different route and gain the wall (heading west towards Xiangzhuiyu) a few towers along. It was villagers from the other hotel circumventing the guys on the wall. HHC used to have that reputation of being a hassle about ten years ago but it's a long time since I've walked there so it may no longer be the case.
              If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
              Journeys, &c

Comment

So here's an interesting chinese blog post about the way from Qinglongxia to Hefangkou.
                http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_a6c678d10102w8xc.html
                I'm not sure if I understood everyhting right but looks like they made it through all or most of the barbed wire and fences. Looks like they returned because it was getting dangerously slippy with the snow. They also said they got a fine before for trespassing. Seeing all the pictures of the cameras I guess we shouldn't try it in the main season and just take the way along the street.

Comment

Working...
                X