No announcement yet.

Huanghuacheng to Qinglongxia in 7 days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huanghuacheng to Qinglongxia in 7 days?

Hi!
    After reading some forum posts and studying the forum map, I've come up with this route. According to other posts, it should be possible to walk from Huanghuacheng to Sancha in about two days. That would after my understanding the only strech I would have to sleep on the wall, and carry water for several days. After that it seems like I would be in or near a village every day, so then I would not have to carry loads of food, or water. I want to start in Huanghuacheng to take the heaviest part first, when I'm rested and ship shape, and then try to do a village to village approach.
    Questions:
    Is this doable in late May early June?
    Since it's the start of rain season i would belive that mosquetoes and malaria is not a problem?
    Am I wrong to assume there will be posibilities to resupply every day from Sancha to Qinglongxia?
    Is it easy to get from Qinglongxia back to Beijing?
    And is seven days enough? Will there be bail out points if I don't manage to keep the tempo I'm planing?

Thanks for this great forum!

Is this doable in late May early June? Sure, but it will be quite warm.
    Since it's the start of rain season i would belive that mosquetoes and malaria is not a problem? AFAIK.
    Am I wrong to assume there will be posibilities to resupply every day from Sancha to Qinglongxia? No.
    Is it easy to get from Qinglongxia back to Beijing? Yes. Probably a taxi to Huairou and then a bus from there.
    And is seven days enough? That depends on your speed and schedule.
    Will there be bail out points if I don't manage to keep the tempo I'm planing? Yes, but finding transportation from some of them will be interesting if you don't speak any Chinese. So choose one that has some taxis.
    Bryan

Comment

Will it be okay to use a sleaping bag on the ground, or would you recomend using a tent?

Comment

A sleeping bag on a ground sheet inside of a tower would be adequate for most people.
        Bryan

Comment

I'm thinking about going for a light one man tent (the inner walls are all mesh, and the rain cover is optional) and a blanket. That way I've got a hide out from bugs and mosquitoes. Including my sleeping pad my entire sleeping system is then just under 2 kg. If I then reacon 8 kg of water and 2 kg of dried out food, I will be cruising with a comforable 14 kg including backpack and kit. That will be the weight between Huanghuacheng and Sancha. When I get to the points where the going gets tough (Jainkou?) the pack will be lighter. Happy to hear any toughts on this approach!

Comment

14kg is a lot to haul up some of those sections.

Uphill from HHC towards Jiugongshan

Downhill at Tiekuangyu

heading up the route to Eagles tower at Jiankou area.

Don't underestimate the terrain.
            If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
            Journeys, &c

Comment

Here in Norway we only have uphills, so we're kind of used to it. More concerned with the temperature. We don't have that in Norway.

Comment

I'm lookin on the leg from Lianhuachi/Qiliankou to Shentangyu. There is a small part right after Lianhuachi that neither has a marked path nor wall. Is there a path on this stretch or do I have to make my own way?

Comment

When you reach that gap you will see large towers at the peaks of the next ridge and you just have to find a way to climb up. You might find arrows painted on rocks or ribbons tied to trees. These trails are also shown on the official forum map.
                  Bryan

Comment

Working...
                  X