Week Hike in Spring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bianfuxia View Post
    Just follow the path, it's easy. Basically the entire route is easy enough to navigate if you have a reasonable sense of direction. When I walked this area I didn't even need my GPS because there was a trail. Study the GE imagery before you go, take a print out if you want, and use your instinct.

What's dangerous is not getting lost, it's trying to climb sections of wall that are too steep (as that one absolutely is).
    Thanks for the advice! It's really nice you guys doing this effort to help us wall noobes!

Comment

Originally posted by bianfuxia View Post
      Just follow the path, it's easy. Basically the entire route is easy enough to navigate if you have a reasonable sense of direction. When I walked this area I didn't even need my GPS because there was a trail. Study the GE imagery before you go, take a print out if you want, and use your instinct.
      So if you go up the wall to the east from Xiangshuihu, there's absolutely no way to continue, no paths off the wall halfway down to the valley or anything?
      Bryan

Comment

From what I understand there should be a reasonably visible path all the way from Xiangshuihu to Wangquanyu. Hope someone can correct me if this is not the case!

Comment

Your choice eastbound at the valley of Xiangshuihu is to continue along the wall or take the road to the south and then east. I'm thinking if you take the wall you will have to return but maybe there is some way to shortcut the dangerous part just before Wangquanyu.
          Bryan

Comment

I'll probably have both options in mind and make a decision when I'm there! Are there any parts of the wall where I should'nt camp? Whilst planing I'm finding more spots that seem nice. Are there any military instalations (beside the Great Wall... :P ) along the rout from Huanghuacheng to Qinglongxia?

Comment

Camp away from tourist areas. Do not build fires in towers or on or against the wall. Needless to say, get off the wall if you need to "use the bathroom" and dig a deep enough hole. No military sites along there as far as I know.

after Daszhenyu pass the wall goes along the top of a cliff right above the tourist area at Xianshuihu and as far as I know there's not a path down so you need to backtrack or just skip that section. To continue along the wall you'll then need to go up into the tourist area and presumably pay for a ticket. once at the top you can skip over the wall onto the hillside and there is a path down as you see in the trace. Then pick up the path again.
              Attached Files
              If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
              Journeys, &c

Comment

Thanks for that kmz file.

If you continue east from Dazhenyu pass (Lianyunling) towards Xiangshuihu, there is a path that goes off the south side of the wall before you reach the short restored part, via a temple in the side of the cliff. It's included on the forum map. You could get charged for a ticket to Xiangshuihu there. But that span of the wall is awesome. Here it is from across the valley.

Bryan

Comment

oh ok I always wondered about that. The time I was able to hike eastwards from that pass, I already had a kid & was due back in the village before I had time to find that little path. It *is* a cool section that one!
                  Journeys, &c

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                    Thanks for that kmz file.

If you continue east from Dazhenyu pass (Lianyunling) towards Xiangshuihu, there is a path that goes off the south side of the wall before you reach the short restored part, via a temple in the side of the cliff. It's included on the forum map. You could get charged for a ticket to Xiangshuihu there. But that span of the wall is awesome. Here it is from across the valley.

So this is when I'm going from Lianyunlig to Xiangshuihu?

Comment

Never mind. Reread you post :P

I've seen from pictures that there are some areas where the wall is overgrown pretty badly. Do you have any tips for staying away from snakes, other than treking poles, and if I do get bit, is there any snakes that poisenaus that I won't be able to make it back to sivilization? I've read up on a couple of them, and it seemes to me that it should not be a problem, but it's always nice to double check!

Comment

You won't see them often but they are out there. The Mamushi can give you a pretty nasty bite, it has enough venom to probably kill a child so try not to get bitten. Generally most snakes are not aggressive so the biggest risk is if you blunder along and step on one. He'll then bite you, quite rightly. Nature's road rage. So just watch where you walk, and watch where you sit. Snakes will hear/feel you coming and probably move out of the way. That said, all the miles I've done on the wall I've only seen a snake a few times.
                        Journeys, &c

Comment

Hi guys! We had a GREAT trek from Longquanyu to Mutianyu, taking 5.5 days (started late as on the first day and slept in the last tower before the creek. Incidentally, there is now a fence and warden hut at that creek so it's not possible to pass without paying the 45 RMB tax for Xishuihu.) We had an amazing hike and I'd like to thank Bryan and especially Batman for the help planning. I'll put together a proper trip report with pictures later this spring when I'm done traveling, but I can't thank y'all enough.
                          Xiexie

Comment

Originally posted by BigDoor View Post
                            Hi guys! We had a GREAT trek from Longquanyu to Mutianyu, taking 5.5 days (started late as on the first day and slept in the last tower before the creek. Incidentally, there is now a fence and warden hut at that creek so it's not possible to pass without paying the 45 RMB tax for Xishuihu.) We had an amazing hike and I'd like to thank Bryan and especially Batman for the help planning. I'll put together a proper trip report with pictures later this spring when I'm done traveling, but I can't thank y'all enough.
                            Xiexie
                            Hi! I'm planning to trek from Huanghuacheng to Qinglongxia in a months time. I think that would be about the same distanse but with start and end a bit more east. Would be really nice if you could give me any heads up if there is any think perticular to consider. I'm planning to mostly sleep in a tent.

How much time did you use from Huanghuacheng to Sancha? I've heard two days, but according to google maps it's only 10.4 kilometers. I've never walked in that kind of heat, but I still think 5 km a day sound a bit short...? What's your assessment?

Comment

I'm pretty sure Huanghuacheng to Sancha could be done in one long day, but it depends on exactly where you start as there are a couple of different entrances. Also, sometimes Xishuiyu is sometimes referrred to as Huanghuacheng and from there it would be two days.
                              Bryan

Comment

Glad you had a great time, BigDoor - look forward to your report!

KonPraanm HHc to Sancha would be a BIG day. As Bryan says it depends a bit on where you start but say you consider HHC to begin at the reservoir wall, then you are going to need ALL DAY to get to Sancha. The climb out of the other side of HHC (ie the other side of the Ox Bow) is a big long one, and then you still have to get around Tiekuangyu wall. I'd be inclined to camp in one of the towers on the Tiekuangyu stretch rather than try to make it to Sancha, because of course you still face one long climb up to Sancha as well.
                                Journeys, &c

Comment

Working...
                                X