No announcement yet.

Week Hike in Spring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okok, the water thing. In early summer in the western desert I had to carry 8l. Making the 10kg pack idea a bit difficult. But water vanishes soon. An there is no choice.
    Totally different from carrying 16kg on your free will ...

-chinoook
    chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
    chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
    chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Yes but I think they were probably calculating the water in with the 16... fhs
      If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
      Journeys, &c

Comment

I was certainly including water/food/booze weight in the 16kg. I didn't intend that to become such a flashpoint. I routinely do week-long or longer treks over steep, treacherous terrain that's often much slower than 1km/hour, but admittedly I haven't hiked on the GW before. If it's possible to get food along the way, that would obviously save several kgs, and I'm sure I could also trim a bit off of my base weight.
        ​​​​​​Again, thanks for all the great feedback!

Comment

Haha it's not a flashpoint that's just Chinoook & me mucking around as we always do.

It is possible to pick up basics along the way at various villages but not, probably, the kind of stuff you're used to or want to eat. In reality these "through hikes" - even short ones - are a bit of a hassle and it's hard to say if they're worth it. It's often a lot more fun to travel very light and just camp overnight where you have to, and then use cheap guesthouses in the villages to stay the night. they'll ccok you food and give you beer and then you continue along the next day.

Particularly on the Longquanyu to Qinglongxia route you can do the whole thing without camping once if you plan it right; or camp as you like here or there and use the villages the rest of the time.

Regardless of the type of load we're used to carrying, I can tell you from experience on the GW (and elsewhere, I mean it really goes without saying) that the less you're carrying, the further you can go and the less tired you'll be. Arguably the end of that equation is "and the more fun you'll have".

What many do, Chinoook included, and he's done it from Jiayuguan to the eastern coast, is what I describe above. Travel light, go far, stay at villages unless you really have to camp. To that I would add throwing in a few deliberate camps for the fun of it, but enjoying the wall more thoroughly by not being so exhausted at the end of each night from lugging all that is necessary up hill and down dale (and up hill again, and again, and again...).

Some pics of parts of that route, so you can have an indication:

This is between Huanghuacheng and Jiugongshan:

Above Tiekuangyu:

Between Moyashike and Beijing Knot:

Eagles Fly Facing Upwards, western approach:

Towards Shentangyu:

Journeys, &c

Comment

Thanks for sharing the photos. It looks awesome! Challenging but stunning.

Comment

We've pinned down our dates and will be tackling Longquanyu to Qinglongxia in April. How much of a concern is route finding? Is the wall obvious enough to follow? Which direction would be best? We're planning on hiking west to east. And how much of a disaster will public transport be during tomb sweeping? Easier to get go Longquanyu?
              Cheers. This forum has been invaluable in researching this trek.

Comment

I think to the east of Lianhuachi will be the most difficult area since there's a pretty long span with no wall. You'll also need to know how to proceed to the east of Tiekuangyu. I don't think it matters much which direction you go. Nor should buses be much of a problem.
                Bryan

Comment

What is the route east of Tiekuangyu?

Comment

The Tiekuangyu Great Wall does not meet up with the Sancha Great Wall towards Luanling / Dazhenyu. There's some road walking and trail walking. You need a good map, preferably on a GPS receiver but paper and compass will do. This one includes all the hiking trails as well as the Great Wall itself.
                    Bryan

Comment

West east is fine. Getting to Longquanyu is easy from Changping. There's a bus or you can take a driver (if you can speak Chinese i can give you a number). Note that from LQY to Xishuiyu (the bit just west of Huanghuacheng) it's all restored now. From Tiekuangyu, just go down the very steep G Wall to the road, turn left, follow the road a km uphill towards Sancha and pick up the path that reconnects to the wall. The path starts at N40 27.441' E116 23.991, I think. and basically you're looking for a little farmhouse on the right of the road, just before the road swings sharp right up into the village of Sancha. There are some billboards on the left. You cross a tiny, tiny stream pick up the path on the right side of the road, which then swings round behind the farmhouse and uphill to the wall. From Lianhuachi the wall does, in fact, continue all the way to Qinglongxia. You need to follow it to and beyond Shentangyu, then between Shentangyu and Hefangkou it is very difficult but you can follow it. After Hefangkou, where it is restored a little bit, you then need to shimmy up a big rockface (about 2m high maybe) to regain the wall and enter the Qinglongxia restored area. Beyond Qinglongxia there is no wall. In between all that of course you have to negotiate the difficult parts of Jiankou and if you are carrying heavy loads you may want to consider detouring past some of those.
                      Journeys, &c

Comment

If I recall correctly there's also a tricky area at Wangquanyu that must be circumvented.
                        Bryan

Comment

yes that's true, but as the area immediately prior is ticketed anyway, it's best to skip around the bottom along the road from Dazhenyu.
                          Journeys, &c

Comment

Working...
                          X