Week Hike in Spring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week Hike in Spring

There are a lot of dead links in the forum, so I'm struggling to plan an extended hike for next spring. Two of us are keen to do anything around a week long, and we're open to any section. We do want to camp along the way i.e. thru hike a smaller section, as opposed to bussing between bits. Where are the best options for this? And obviously availability of water is a major concern. Cheers.

I think it mainly depends on how mountainous you want the terrain to be Any week-long hike around Beijing or to the east will be steep and dangerous. Further to the west, Shanxi province for example, would open up some more reasonable opportunities.

See Recommended locations for a start and then search for more.
    Bryan

Comment

Thanks for the response! We'd prefer to hike a mountainous section. But more of a concern is a section where we could hike continuously. We're experienced, safe hikers. How far east is it possible to hike starting from Xifengkou? All the way to the coast? And what issues would there be hiking between Longquanyu and Qinglongxia? Would that route be an option?
      ​​​

Comment

Longquanyu to Qinglongxia can be done if you travel light. Water is your only real challenge. There is none, so you need to resign yourself to restocking in villages along the way. Parts of that route are quite difficult.

I've done it all but not in one go. Personally I think a week is about right for it. As a rule of thumb, budget one hour per kilometer.

Also most of Longquanyu has sadly been "rebuilt" all the way over to Xishuihu.
        If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
        Journeys, &c

Comment

Originally posted by BigDoor View Post
          How far east is it possible to hike starting from Xifengkou? All the way to the coast?
          It is possible to walk from Xifengkou all the way to the coast. But neither is the wall continuous, nor is it easy to find. There are places where it is _extremely_ difficult to find a way down and again difficult to find a way up and to find the wall at all. The entire way from Xifengkou to Shanhaiguan should take about a whole month, in case everything works well.

-chinoook
          chinoook's 1st law: Structurally weak walls tend to have double structures.
          chinoook's 2nd law: Newer walls are built next older walls, not over them.
          chinoook's 3rd law: Similar problems lead to similar solutions.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Besides water, what would be the major concerns with the section between Longquanyu and Qinglongxia? No problems with camping? Any security at any point? And what about transport options to get there and back? Which point would be better to start at? We would be traveling light (~16kgs).
            Thanks!!

Comment

Camping - fine. Bivvy way better than tent.
              Security - no
              Start - either way fine.
              Other concerns - none as long as you can handle some steep terrain, some bushwhacking, and finding the routes to connect a few of the sections. Ample study of the GE imagery & our overlay will solve that.
              Transport - public transport available both ways. You can use the functions on Baidu Maps to work out the routes by pasting in the character names of where you want to go. It's intuitive even if you can't read Chinese. Otherwise pay extra and get an English speaking driver to take you.

The main thing to understand is that parts of that route are pretty hard - steep, loose rocks etc and some of them are overgrown, and some are both steep and overgrown. There are a few bits between Hefangkou & QLX that really require a bit of creativity, and also of course there are the notorious bits around Jiankou which are best circumvented. I've PM'd you.
              Journeys, &c

Comment

All in all it will get much more difficult than expected. 16kgs - lightweight? I would not like to walk long distances in that area exceeding 5kgs ...

-chinoook

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)

Comment

Don't worry, I regularly carry that kind of load out there. You need to be very careful but you can do it.

The difference between Chinoook and everyone else that he neither eats, nor drinks. Not everyone can get by for 48 hours on a pack of Panda ciggies!
                  Journeys, &c

Comment

No beer?

-chinoook

Comment

Haha, beer and roasted chestnuts found on the ground. A perfect Great Wall camp-out.
                      "Shall we camp on the wall, I'm worried about the wild pigs".
                      "I've never seen wild pigs out here".
                      Snort snort snort.
                      "Let's camp on the wall".
                      "Dude, I'm already up here".
                      Journeys, &c

Comment

That's funny!

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
                        All in all it will get much more difficult than expected.
                        Agreed.

Originally posted by chinoook View Post
                        16kgs - lightweight? I would not like to walk long distances in that area exceeding 5kgs ...
                        Agreed. I never hike with a pack over 10 kg.
                        Bryan

Comment

Thing is, by the time you have 6 litres of water which is what most people will need minimum over 48 hours (say you're walking from Huanghuacheng to Sancha, that's a two day walk for most people and nowhere to resupply along the way), plus your food and stuff to overnight with (sleeping bag, bivvy bag, etc), you're almost certainly already over 10kg. And six litres for me for 48 hours in that kind of tough terrain on a hot spring day is really the bare minimum.

I try not to carry loads like that if I can avoid it but the total lack of water makes it unrealistic to assume you can get away with incredibly light loads.

That's what makes long distance hiking on the wall such a challenge around Beijing and that's why I just about only ever do it in the winter so I can shave 3 litres off what I need to take.
                          Journeys, &c

Comment

That said now that I go over it in my mind 16 probably is a bit excessive. This was a 16 kg load and it was tough work:

I took about 9 kg when I hiked overnight from Jiugongshan to Dazhenyu. Much more manageable, but, of course, I ran out of water beneath the high tower at Sancha because it was so hot and I would have happily carried an extra two kilos for an extra two litres of water.

Shaving weight is all very well but there is a definite trade-off!
                            Journeys, &c

Comment

BTW that's a camera under my coat there, not a belly...this was last winter and it was about -15C that day.
                              Journeys, &c

Comment

Working...
                              X