No announcement yet.

Trip report: From Huanghuacheng to Mutianyu in three days, without shortcuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hike! Trip report: From Huanghuacheng to Mutianyu in three days, without shortcuts

I had incredible and challenging time last week hiking, climbing, jumping, camping on the wall. Since there is only a little information in English about this part of closed wall, I would like to share my experience. First few kms of the hike to Jiugongshan was described by bianfuxia in http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/...ugongshan.html .

Judging from the spider nets, there in some parts there was no one for at least couple of weeks. Yet all along there is some kind of path: I was worried about the vegetation but this up in the mountains North of China it's dry so bushes and trees don't recover that quickly.

There were some very hard parts where certain climbing skill was necessary, particularly because of the heavy backpack(had 10 - 15 kilos). But it was so much fun! Fortunately there was vegetation I could use instead of a rope. A rope and two people would be more handy though on at least two spots. Like this it took much longer. Twice I had to climb over barbed wire, in a fruit plantation. (BTW the ripe plums in the hot weather were really tempting, yet I withheld myself. I'm not a thief.)

For now I share just GPX, I plan to describe each part in more detail once I am behind the great firewall and also share some pictures .

Re: Trip report: From Huanghuacheng to Mutianyu in three days, without shortcuts

Congratulations on your success. And thanks for sharing. I'm sure it was a challenging hike. I look forward to your GPX file, details, and photos.
    Bryan

Comment

Re: Trip report: From Huanghuacheng to Mutianyu in three days, without shortcuts

Bryan, thank you! I didn't forget this forum. It is only now that I am back home.

The total distance was little under 38 kilometers with 4217 meters ascended and 4134 meters descended.

Here is the promised GPX file, quite coarse as I had to save battery. I added several waypoints with descirptions and pictures in a map. It is all on my blog.

Comment

Nice work! Not many people have done that in one go.

Post a few photos if you have them!
        If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
        Journeys, &c

Comment

Working...
        X