Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everybody seems to do Gubeikou to Jinshanling. Is the other way possible as well?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everybody seems to do Gubeikou to Jinshanling. Is the other way possible as well?

What the title says.
    We are planning a hike between these two locations in late September. My partner speaks Chinese fluently. We heard that Jinshanling to Gubeikou might be preferable as you hike more down than up overall.
    Is it possible to follow the detour around the military protected area also from Jinshanling to Gubeikou (i.e., not confusing, with signs maybe).

We are considering the following options:
    1. Go from Beijing to Jinshan the night before, and stay there overnight. In the morning, take a taxi to the cable car. Go to the top, then hike towards Gubeikou. In the evening, take public transport back from Gubeikou to Beijing.
    2. Go from Beijing to Jinshanling early in the morning by public transport. Hike towards Gubeikou. Stay in Gubeikou for the night. Go back to Beijing the next morning.

Any advice, ideas, tips, feedback about these options? Why are they good/bad?
    Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by ibd View Post
    Is it possible to follow the detour around the military protected area also from Jinshanling to Gubeikou (i.e., not confusing, with signs maybe).
    Yes, it's possible. I don't remember any difficulty following the way, but if you're unsure, you can use the forum map which contains the military detour information.

We heard that Jinshanling to Gubeikou might be preferable as you hike more down than up overall.
    JSL to GBK is more downhill (especially if you take the cable car up), but in general the hike is not so difficult. The elevation profile shows going from JSL East entrance to GBK:

We are considering the following options:
    1. Go from Beijing to Jinshan the night before, and stay there overnight. In the morning, take a taxi to the cable car. Go to the top, then hike towards Gubeikou. In the evening, take public transport back from Gubeikou to Beijing.
    2. Go from Beijing to Jinshanling early in the morning by public transport. Hike towards Gubeikou. Stay in Gubeikou for the night. Go back to Beijing the next morning.
    Option one should be fine (going back by public transport takes some time and the last bus from Miyun to Beijing is at 6:30 pm (bus 980 express) or 7:00 pm (bus 980) which means that you have to leave from GBK accordingly).
    If taking option two with public transport, it also takes long time to reach JSL, but might be also fine.

If you're not taking public transport, you can do the hike in one day. Personally, I would not take public transport and do it as a day trip. If you have two days time, you might also have a look at Wohushan.
    Last edited by Jan; 08-13-2018, 05:59 AM.
    Jan

Comment

Hi @Jan

TYVM for your help!

I tried searching for the relevant map, showing the military detour, in the "Official Great Wall Forum maps" subforum, but I couldn't find it. Could you please point me to it?
      That elevation profile is very nice. How did you generate it?

As we will take lots of photos, I think this route is quite good for us. Option 1 seems more attractive.

I would love to do a bit more research, but the information seems so scattered. Also, I find lots of info dating back to 2010 or older, where I don't know if it's outdated. Do you know of specific websites, or threads in this forum, that show some additional information like:
      - Where the cable car stations are? I find it hard to search on google maps; OTOH, most maps showing the cable car route are only schematic.
      - Approximately when cable cars run?
      - When and where public transport runs from/to JSL and GBK? For example, where did you get when the last busses run, and which of those are express/not express?
      Again, some pointers would be appreciated, and I can read through websites and I can collect / recap the info.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Yes, it's possible. I don't remember any difficulty following the way, but if you're unsure, you can use the forum map which contains the military detour information.

JSL to GBK is more downhill (especially if you take the cable car up), but in general the hike is not so difficult. The elevation profile shows going from JSL East entrance to GBK:

Option one should be fine (going back by public transport takes some time and the last bus from Miyun to Beijing is at 6:30 pm (bus 980 express) or 7:00 pm (bus 980) which means that you have to leave from GBK accordingly).
      If taking option two with public transport, it also takes long time to reach JSL, but might be also fine.

If you're not taking public transport, you can do the hike in one day. Personally, I would not take public transport and do it as a day trip. If you have two days time, you might also have a look at Wohushan.

Comment

I tried searching for the relevant map, showing the military detour, in the "Official Great Wall Forum maps" subforum, but I couldn't find it. Could you please point me to it?
        You can find information about the map here.

That elevation profile is very nice. How did you generate it?
        It's generated by Google Earth based on my hike from JSL to GBK.

- Where the cable car stations are? I find it hard to search on google maps; OTOH, most maps showing the cable car route are only schematic.
        - Approximately when cable cars run?
        The cable car operates during opening hours of JSL. The cable car is also in the shown in the forum map.

When and where public transport runs from/to JSL and GBK? For example, where did you get when the last busses run, and which of those are express/not express?
        You can find information about public transport e.g. in Google Maps or Baidu Maps. Since your partner speaks Chinese, I would recommend using Baidu maps since the information are most accurate (it's actually simple enough to use it even if you don't speak Chinese).
        Jan

Comment

Working...
        X