Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant make up my mind

Hi Girls & Guys,

I will be in China again in May and plan for a Great Wall hike with friends visiting China the same time and will be the "tourist guide" for them whilst they are in BJ. I have been a few times on the great wall myself (see old posts). Of course i want to take them to the real Great Wall so I made a shortlist of preferred hikes.
    Since I cant make up my mind, I would be glad to have some comments on the proposed hikes or if your suggestions for other parts. Especially comments on the hikes i haven't done are appreciated.
    I will post our hike with pictures to contribute, promised!

Hike should max. 4 hrs moderate speed and difficulty.

1. Jiuyanlou

Re: Cant make up my mind

You might want to consider a hike from Gubeikou to Jinshanling. It's a favorite of mine and I think it would be a new area for you. But every location you listed is a good choice, depending on who you are taking with you.
    Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan,

thanks for the quick reply. We are between 30 and 40 years old, level of fitness is normal I guess. I don't think we will have no hiking boots, my friends only stay for a week and travel light...
      Does this information exclude any hikes from my list?

BR
      Chris

Comment

That information does not exclude. The key in my opinion is risk tolerance. The Jiankou area is definitely more dangerous than Gubeikou. And I would say of the five hikes you listed, the two you have done are the least dangerous / scary.

Have you read this post? http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/...locations.html It's old but should still be of interest.
        Bryan

Comment

The climb up to beijingjie in 1 is absolutely not for the faint of heart. It's very steep and exposed. Depending where you start 4 hours is a stretch too. On 2, there are several quite difficult parts which you should avoid by using the detours. If it's all the same to your friends, Id skip those & do one of the others. I think much of the wall west of xiangshuihu has been poorly restored.

Sent from my 2014501 using Tapatalk
          If you're tired of the Great Wall, you're tired of life.
          Journeys, &c

Comment

Originally posted by bianfuxia View Post
            The climb up to beijingjie in 1 is absolutely not for the faint of heart. It's very steep and exposed. Depending where you start 4 hours is a stretch too. On 2, there are several quite difficult parts which you should avoid by using the detours. If it's all the same to your friends, Id skip those & do one of the others. I think much of the wall west of xiangshuihu has been poorly restored.

Sent from my 2014501 using Tapatalk
            Thanks to you too!!!

For my friends it doesn't matter, but for me. So Wohushan looks interesting, but i prefer to stay in Huairou area and prefer round hikes over walking back the same stretch....

Does "I think much of the wall west of xiangshuihu has been poorly restored." mean it doesnt look like the pictures here in the forum anymore and it is not really worth going?

Kind regards

Chris

So #2 is off the list.
            #1 leaving the wall before Beijingjie back to Xizhazi, is that ok.

Comment

XIN NIAN KUAI LE!!! btw...

Comment

Originally posted by ElReydelaCruz View Post

Does "I think much of the wall west of xiangshuihu has been poorly restored." mean it doesnt look like the pictures here in the forum anymore and it is not really worth going?

#1 leaving the wall before Beijingjie back to Xizhazi, is that ok.
                I guess so, and yes.
                Journeys, &c

Comment

To close this topic, I chose Huanghuacheng to Xishuiyu. My friends were excited (two, three times they even were scared lol). Hopefully the second stretch of the hike wont be "refurbished" soon.

I would like to post some pics, what is the upload limit?

Comment

Host the pics on flickr or photobucket or something and link them over here.
                    Journeys, &c

Comment

Here the pics...

Comment

Comment

That should work...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/beijin...57673182596331

Comment

Working...
                          X