Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70% of Hebei Great Wall at risk due to illegal mining operations.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 70% of Hebei Great Wall at risk due to illegal mining operations.

Based on your comments, which are appreciated, I have restored the deleted posts.
    Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
      You can accuse the Chinese of a lot of things, but accusing them of not being proud of their culture is outrageous. If I have learned anything by living in China it would be that Chinese are indeed very proud of their culture - they might not be proud of the political system, but they are very proud of their culture and country.

I have been told many times not to help people in distress, and knowing that it could potentially ruin a person or whole family financially I can understand this way of thinking. But to judge a whole nation by the action of 18 people is not fair. The outcry on the internet at least show that not all Chinese think it was appropriate to ignore the toddler.

Of cause for the media it is much more interesting to cover stories of people not helping a small injured child, than to write about someone actually getting help and appreciating the help they got. In the same way it is much more interesting to write stories about some section of the Great Wall being damaged than to write about some local farmer passionated about protecting the wall.
      Hear Hear.

Things are not perfect here in China but the people are generally very proud of their country, proud of their culture, proud of their achievements. Living here for as long as I have I have felt so much love here, whereas in my own country all I sense is bitterness... yet fingers are always pointed at China.

Comment

I am glad the posts have been restored otherwise I would think this forum is censored in similar ways to that of the CPC.
        These so-called "illegal" coal mines exist not because the government does not know about it; it happens because of colusion between big businessmen and their counterparts in the local authorities. It is obvious that the Central Government is oblivious to the happenings or is it? Politics have always played a pivotal role in the Great Wall in terms of the origins; the ways it is politicized and portrayed.Yeah, I just hope that other 1.2 billion people are so kind-hearted as to help. I wish. It was so unlucky that it HAD to be these 18 people, if it were another group of 18 passers-by on another day, at another time, I am sure they would come to help. Again, I wish.When you see the state of the Great Wall, you see the state of society in the middle Kingdom.
        I am curious as to know why European countries protect their Historic relics an monuments in much better care and pride than in China? We can argue that the cultural revolution indeed caused so much damage to the idea;culture;ideology;thinking and behaviour of people. Fathers would turn against their sons; neighbours against neighbours; suspicion increased; gone were the ethics and philospohy taught by Confucius; people brain-washed; then in 1978 came the slogan to get rich is glorious; indeed this is true to get rich is in the minds of so many people ( I have to be careful in calculating the number of peopleotherwise my Danish friend Kim would point out my generalisation on the whole population of China) ;
        The Beijing City wall is one of so manyrelics which have been destroyed. The ignorance; iressponsibility; the lack of education from schools and parents
        themselves all have contributed to this.

Chinese are proud of their history only when it suits them; it is a symbol of national pride and dignity especially when the authorities show the Beijing Ming Wall in its propaganda as a symbol of strength and unity. This is from the top. But as usual, things in China are very shallow and superficial. Just ask any commoner, you will get thre true idea. The history of China is so manipulated and altered that it generally portrays foreigners as invaders which expolited the weakness of China, pre-1912; the eight nation alliance ( sorryto mention this Chinoook as I believe you are German); Sino-Japanese wars. China was known as the "sick old man of Asia".

Just as we coming to commemorate the 100the anniversary of the revolution, we all hope the country is moving into a better direction.
        Enacting laws is useless. These politicians don't care about China. They will immigrate to USA;Australia; Canada as soon as possible once they manage to get rich and carry the cash in their suitcases.

If you want to judge people, ask them, why they marry why do Chinese people usually prefer western weddings dressed in foreign gowns and frocks? Why are so many people interested in travelling to Italy;France when they have n't even been to their own parts of China? Why are they buying so many foreign brands instead of Chinese brands?Why do Chinese brands always use foreigners in their advertisements? Why do Chinese people smile at foreigners but
        not to Chinese themselves? Why are foreign festivals more popular than Chinese festivals?Chinese mainlanders worship foreign things.

oh it is 18 out of 18 people who did not help; not 18 out of 50 or 100.
        so 1 out of 19 people had the decency to help.Hhhhmmm, that indeed is a very very low ratio. My words are harsh and critical but this is the truth. If I offend anyone, I can't apologise because it is the truth.
        Last edited by PeterLee; 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM. Reason: add more things

Comment

These so-called "illegal" coal mines exist not because the government does not know about it; it happens because of colusion between big businessmen and their counterparts in the local authorities. It is obvious that the Central Government is oblivious to the happenings or is it?
          Of cause they know very well what is going on but choose to turn the blind eye in the name of economic development and GDP. Several illegal mines no doubt have very close ties to the local authorities, which helps them cover up illegal business and accidents.

Yeah, I just hope that other 1.2 billion people are so kind-hearted as to help. I wish. It was so unlucky that it HAD to be these 18 people, if it were another group of 18 passers-by on another day, at another time, I am sure they would come to help. Again, I wish.When you see the state of the Great Wall, you see the state of society in the middle Kingdom.
          That would be a very interesting discussion if you knew how many times passers-by actually stopped to help, but you don't know that because it is never reported. Just like many people in Denmark are convinced that all foreign immigrants are criminal, because the news never report about the majority that actually live quite ordinary lives and work hard every day.

I am curious as to know why European countries protect their Historic relics an monuments in much better care and pride than in China? We can argue that the cultural revolution indeed caused so much damage to the idea;culture;ideology;thinking and behaviour of people.
          Yes, the cultural revolution played a big role, but no European country have such a huge amount of cultural relics like China, and to protect them all would be a monumental task that no country in the world could ever afford.
          Of cause they could do a better job than what they do now and hopefully that will get better in the future, but as long as a big part of the population is still poor it is simply impossible to expect them to care for their cultural relics when their main focus is to beat the inflation and be able to buy food.

I have to be careful in calculating the number of peopleotherwise my Danish friend Kim would point out my generalisation on the whole population of China
          So many have done that before you, and we all know that all Chinese people eat dog meat.

The Beijing City wall is one of so manyrelics which have been destroyed. The ignorance; iressponsibility; the lack of education from schools and parents themselves all have contributed to this.
          A very sad story, but like so many other places history sometimes have to give way for development and modernization, although I for one would have loved to walk around on the Beijing City Wall. I don't consider this ignorance or irresponsible but a way part with old ways.

indeed this is true to get rich is in the minds of so many people
          Like in the rest of the world.

Chinese are proud of their history only when it suits them; it is a symbol of national pride and dignity especially when the authorities show the Beijing Ming Wall in its propaganda as a symbol of strength and unity.
          Just like any other country like to show their national symbols.

Just ask any commoner, you will get thre true idea. The history of China is so manipulated and altered that it generally portrays foreigners as invaders which expolited the weakness of China, pre-1912; the eight nation alliance ( sorryto mention this Chinoook as I believe you are German); Sino-Japanese wars. China was known as the "sick old man of Asia".
          Yes, the government is very keen on developing some kind of external threat to proven themselves as a legitimate ruler of China, and to remove focus from their own flaws. But China is hardly the first county, nor will it be the last, to use historical events to boost their own self confidence.

These politicians don't care about China. They will immigrate to USA;Australia; Canada as soon as possible once they manage to get rich and carry the cash in their suitcases.
          Sad to see how numerous businessmen and politician earn money by polluting the countryside and deplete resources, just to move to western countries when they can no longer tolerate the polluted air and wants better medical care.

If you want to judge people, ask them, why they marry why do Chinese people usually prefer western weddings dressed in foreign gowns and frocks?
          Probably for the same reason most people in Denmark would not be caught dead wearing a traditional folk costume. Things chance and both people in Denmark and China look up to the American way of life with everything that includes.

Why are so many people interested in travelling to Italy;France when they have n't even been to their own parts of China?
          The same reason why a lot of people in Europe prefer to spend their summer holiday in another country. I would much rather spend my holiday in China than in Denmark simply because China is different and hence more interesting in my view. There are many parts of Denmark (although Denmark is a very small country) I have never been to, but I would prefer to go to France, Italy, USA, China etc. before visiting parts of my own country.

Why are they buying so many foreign brands instead of Chinese brands? Why do Chinese brands always use foreigners in their advertisements?
          Because they aspire for another lifestyle, just like everybody in Europe wear jeans and drink Coke - that is only natural in a modern world.

Why do Chinese people smile at foreigners but not to Chinese themselves?
          Yes, they do. But why do some people from Copenhagen (no, it is not the capital of Sweden) despise people from my part of the country and vice versa?

Why are foreign festivals more popular than Chinese festivals?
          I don't agree, but I did find it a bit surprising when a Chinese friend wished me happy thanksgiving. Spring festival is still #1.
          Last edited by Kim; 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterLee View Post
            Kim, Kim, Kim. You are Danish and a white caucasian. You are treated differently than if you have yellow skin. How people treat you;deal with you; your "world" in China is completely different due to the colour of your skin and your ethnicity. Although you have lived in China for many years, you seem to fail to understand what makes this country "tick".
            I don't argue with you and respect your opinions but I can truly say I know this country does not give a s**t about its history;culture;relics etc.

And to judge 18 people? why not ? 18 people is a good sample size to reflect
            this oh Strong country !
            This sounds more like a personal dig rather than a political "discussion". I don't think Kim "fails to understand what makes this country "tick"." In fact, I would argue he probably understands more than many, many people in the world. That's why he's on this forum and why he respects the Great Wall.

Comment

Found a news report about this on Yahoo if anyone is interested...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/reute...-27012442.html

Comment

Working...
              X