Please help us to protect the Great Wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help us to protect the Great Wall

One of the most important things this forum can do is to help raise awareness of the importance of protecting the Great Wall and also help people to understand how they can contribute to the conservation effort.

We all want beautiful, original Great Wall remains like this to be around for generations of the future to appreciate and enjoy.

Bryan

Re: Please help us to protect the Great Wall

Agreed. Great Wall protection is an important activity for this forum.

I think that the best way to protect the Great Wall is to get the officials to enforce the law. Primarily it's construction projects that are damaging the wall. These need to be controlled. Violators need to be punished consistantly and evenly. Local jurisdictions should not be in charge of repairs and renovations; they need to be done to an official standard.

Instead of rebuilding specific areas to an unnatural state, it would be great if they could just repair badly damaged areas, such as those that have collapsed due to water damage. These should just be put back to their original condition using original type of materials and construction methods.

Comment

i would hope that the chinese govt would put archaeologists in charge of all repair projects. anyone else would screw it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 69SHOVLHED View Post
        i would hope that the chinese govt would put archaeologists in charge of all repair projects. anyone else would screw it up.
        They have not previously been known for good care of all historical sites, including the Great Wall and many others. To put it mildly. Maybe some day that will change. But the Great Wall is huge and covers a lot of ground and so it's hard to manage.

The best thing people can do on their own is pick up trash while hiking on the Great Wall. I fear this task must be left up to foreigners, if you know what I mean.
        JoeCool

Comment

Another thing that individuals can do is to educate others. Encourage them to respect the Great Wall and, conversely, discourage them from damaging it.

Last year when I was at Zhangjiakou with chinoook, he gave some people quite a tongue-lashing for mistreating the Great Wall. Without accusing or criticizing them, he told them how they need to respect their historical relics. But in view of the situation it was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. They were quite surprised, first, to be caught in the act, and second, to be reprimanded by a foreigner. And I believe they learned a lesson that they will likely not forget.
          Bryan

Comment

Isn't the Great Wall a UNESCO site? I don't know much about UNESCO but it would seem that some sort of control over how and where the Great Wall is repaired should be within their jurisdiction. http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/438

Comment

Originally posted by lsanderson View Post
              Isn't the Great Wall a UNESCO site? I don't know much about UNESCO but it would seem that some sort of control over how and where the Great Wall is repaired should be within their jurisdiction. http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/438
              even if it is in their juristiction, they aren't gonna be telling the chinese govt what to do. but maybe they can enlighten them on ways to take better care of it. only other thing i can think of is on the wild wall it wouldn't hurt to chop off plants growing between the bricks. the roots will damage the wall over time even more than teenagers will.

Comment

Working...
              X