Great Wall Forum  

Go Back   Great Wall Forum > Experiencing The Great Wall > Extended hiking

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taipei,Taiwan
Posts: 844
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Due to lot of panoramio photos on google earth can be seen on section from television station untill west of Badaling .so I stop posting here ,if anything you want to know on this entire section, welcome you ask .
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by andarchen View Post
Due to lot of panoramio photos on google earth can be seen on section from television station untill west of Badaling .so I stop posting here ,if anything you want to know on this entire section, welcome you ask .
I would like to see some photos and information from the Shixiaguan area (4018'35"N 11556'33"E) if possible.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taipei,Taiwan
Posts: 844
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I would like to see some photos and information from the Shixiaguan area (4018'35"N 11556'33"E) if possible.

Thanks in advance!
On the right of Shixiakouguan (石峡口关),there was a water gate named Huajiayiaokou(花家窑口),view to west at 40.316906n 115.951515e to see ruined water gate below , a inner tower standing left side of Great Wall
The Great Wall of China
close look water gate
The Great Wall of China

view to southwest at 40.315804n 115.948685e to see whole western cliff of Shixiakouguan ,and the tower on the top of cliff is called Kouzilou(口子楼) by local residents .
The Great Wall of China

view to east at 40.311230n 115.938947e, the Kouzilou(口子楼) is foreground .
The Great Wall of China

Last edited by andarchen; 07-06-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 AM
FreddyMusic's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 96
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Question: How to locate a photo on an exactly GPS points ?

Okey, If we are familiar with some Great Wall sections or even be there, we are able to decide what is what.

However, If we don't have that experience.
The photos of Great Wall and mountain can be variable different,
E.g. from different photograhics shooting angle.
One location can seems big different from two different angle.

Then how to decide a photo on an exactly GPS points ?
Feature ? the tower looks all same and it can change ?
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taipei,Taiwan
Posts: 844
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyMusic View Post
Question: How to locate a photo on an exactly GPS points ?

Okey, If we are familiar with some Great Wall sections or even be there, we are able to decide what is what.

However, If we don't have that experience.
The photos of Great Wall and mountain can be variable different,
E.g. from different photograhics shooting angle.
One location can seems big different from two different angle.

Then how to decide a photo on an exactly GPS points ?
Feature ? the tower looks all same and it can change ?
I am pleased to write how i did .

1.Know well about this entire sections from Bijiashan to Badaling .
2.Search related photos section by section from Chinese Great Wall forum , and know where those photos from that forum too .
3.Fly to the place around where photo was captured on google earth .
4.Compare photo and image of google earth by means of terrain, shape of Great Wall , foreground or background on photo .
5.The exactly GPS points comes up once you are sure where exactly points photos was captured on google earth .
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by andarchen View Post
I am pleased to write how i did .

1.Know well about this entire sections from Bijiashan to Badaling .
2.Search related photos section by section from Chinese Great Wall forum , and know where those photos from that forum too .
3.Fly to the place around where photo was captured on google earth .
4.Compare photo and image of google earth by means of terrain, shape of Great Wall , foreground or background on photo .
5.The exactly GPS points comes up once you are sure where exactly points photos was captured on google earth .
That's a tremendous amount of work for you and I appreciate it very much. The photos and information are really helpful. Thank you!

I must say, Shixiaguan looks like some of the most dangerous and difficult terrain between Bijiashan and Badaling.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2009, 03:53 PM
FreddyMusic's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 96
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Thanks andarchen. It's very good job and careful skill.

I do wish technology can push and make the life easy.

Or maybe one day google release a real 3D model earth.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

The paths I have made in Google Earth show it's about 55 kilometers or 34 miles from Bijiashan to Badaling. I estimate the trek could be done in about four days.

My only concern is that there may be places that are too difficult to pass which could require backtracking and detours. If the detours go pretty far away from the Great Wall, like the one from Jiankou to Zhengbeilou, it may be difficult to find the way back to the Great Wall since there isn't as much foot traffic here as there is at Jiankou. I haven't been able to find anyone who has made this complete trek. I even contacted our members who have lots of experience in the Beijing area and they were not able to help me.

Here's an interesting page about the Great Wall in this area that has some excellent rephotography.

日军突破居庸关长城

More interesting info and photos by clicking "previous" and "next" from there...
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 AM
boilface's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 24
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Bryan, did you ever do this hike, or at least find out more about it?
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Bijiashan to Badaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilface View Post
Bryan, did you ever do this hike, or at least find out more about it?
I'm planning to do a round-trip hike starting at the Badaling area this September. The far southwest point of this hike is Bijiashan / Shuitoucun. I already have a hiking partner for this route.

__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bijiashan


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photos! Bijiashan and the high wall at Shuitoucun bianfuxia Bijiashan 1 05-14-2012 01:15 PM
Visiting Badaling PWCCA Badaling 32 08-31-2010 01:57 AM
Anyone been to Bijiashan, BJ? PWCCA Bijiashan 7 09-04-2009 02:05 PM
Bijiashan information Bryan Bijiashan 0 05-25-2009 03:29 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2007 - 2014, GreatWallForum.com
All rights reserved.