Great Wall Forum  

Go Back   Great Wall Forum > Great Wall Locations > Non-Ming Dynasty Great Wall locations > Han Dynasty > Dunhuang

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Information Yumenguan information

Chinese: 玉门关
Pinyin: Y mn guān
English: Jade Gate Pass
GPS coordinates: 4021'13N 9351'51E
Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwallforum View Post
Chinese: 玉门关
Pinyin: Y mn guān
English: Jade Gate Pass
GPS coordinates: 4021'13N 9351'51E
This information is for a long time in our map!
I would rather like to see all your location information there than in these threads.

-chinoook
Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoook View Post
This information is for a long time in our map!
I would rather like to see all your location information there than in these threads.

-chinoook
I think the goal should be to have them in both places. At this time only a few are missing from information threads in the forum.

There is one problem about matching them up. In the map, we put them where they appear on the map. In the information threads, many of them come from actual GPS readings. As we know, sometimes the Google Earth imagery is slightly misplaced and therefore the two numbers differ. A good example is Jiuyanlou tower at Jiankou. On Google Earth, it's at 4028'51.28"N 11630'8.35"E. GPS measurement, with a reported accuracy of a few meters, places it at 4028'54.63"N 11630'8.12"E. The difference between the two is about 108 meters or 354 feet. Not a trivial discrepancy! I admit that this is about the worst example I could find. In most places, accuracy is better, but in a north-south direction the accuracy varies while it usually seems pretty good east to west.

By the way, this is why I round off GPS measurements to the nearest inch or sometimes half inch, so as not to imply accuracy that we don't actually have.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwallforum View Post
I think the goal should be to have them in both places. At this time only a few are missing from information threads in the forum.
As long as we have it at all I am happy. When we have it in the threads as well as in the map it is perfect! I was afraid the information would not longer go into the map which is the place where I need the information.

Quote:
There is one problem about matching them up. In the map, we put them where they appear on the map. In the information threads, many of them come from actual GPS readings. As we know, sometimes the Google Earth imagery is slightly misplaced and therefore the two numbers differ. A good example is Jiuyanlou tower at Jiankou. On Google Earth, it's at 4028'51.28"N 11630'8.35"E. GPS measurement, with a reported accuracy of a few meters, places it at 4028'54.63"N 11630'8.12"E. The difference between the two is about 108 meters or 354 feet. Not a trivial discrepancy! I admit that this is about the worst example I could find. In most places, accuracy is better, but in a north-south direction the accuracy varies while it usually seems pretty good east to west.

By the way, this is why I round off GPS measurements to the nearest inch or sometimes half inch, so as not to imply accuracy that we don't actually have.
I agree to the problems you see. But I know about the accuracy so I don't mind if there are to much units given.

-chinoook

Tags
information, yumenguan