Great Wall Forum  

Go Back   Great Wall Forum > Experiencing The Great Wall > Day trips

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Default day tripper

wondered if some previous travellers can help me! Heading to Beijing mid Aug and of course wish to visit The Wall! Not sure of best area - want to get well outside Beijing so thought of Simatai but being mid 50's and not a hiker wondered if this would be too rough (don't want to end up with broken leg!)
Thought of going to Simatai and walking west towards Jinshanling and then doubling back. Or would we be better to go to Jinshanling and head east before doubling back. No problem in long walking but it will be the stairs and
crumbling pathway that will be an issue... suggestions please...
With thanks
Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Re: day tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatravels View Post
wondered if some previous travellers can help me! Heading to Beijing mid Aug and of course wish to visit The Wall! Not sure of best area - want to get well outside Beijing so thought of Simatai but being mid 50's and not a hiker wondered if this would be too rough (don't want to end up with broken leg!)
Thought of going to Simatai and walking west towards Jinshanling and then doubling back. Or would we be better to go to Jinshanling and head east before doubling back. No problem in long walking but it will be the stairs and
crumbling pathway that will be an issue... suggestions please...
With thanks
Jinshangling - Simatai is about the best walk along restored Great Wall. I would not expect any problems in walking that section - if you have enough time. I did that walk three weeks ago but 1. started at Gubeikou (unrestored section with a section where you have to walk a very simple and bad path besides the wall) and 2. broke my ankle tendon at Jinshanling. I didn't mind and just walked further on. I was accompanied by a group of chinese girls who did the walk in flip-flops ;-). Just to give you an impression, how difficult this section is. If not handicapped or not in severe heart problems - it should not be a problem at all.

I would rather start at Jinshanling because it is more easy to find transport back at Simatai. Even more important is in my opinion the fact that you walk in the direction of the Simatai ascend and will have one of the most breath-taking views of the Great Wall at all.

-chinoook

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of people, who have not viewed the world. (Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), German naturalist and explorer)
Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Re: day tripper

I agree - the walk from Jinshaling to Simatai is made out to be much harder than it is IMO. If you can go during the week, it's lovely and September is a beautiful time with the leaves starting to turn red. We walked it in under three hours, and agree that others completed the walk in non-traditional hiking attire! Plus, if you get tired, it's a great excuse to sit and stare at the wall a bit more

Tags
day trip, jinshanling, simatai